An Evening with Elmore & Gwendolyn Putts, the Neighbors Next Door
|An Evening with Elmore & Gwendolyn Putts, The Neighbors Next Door|
Todd Erickson, Megan Cavanagh, Bobby McGuire, Caroline Schless, Richard O'Donnell
|Written by||Richard O'Donnell|
Mel "Helmet Head" Farley
|Date premiered||31 October 1986|
|Place premiered||CrossCurrents Theatre 3206 N. Wilton St.,
|Subject||A day in the life of a toilet seat salesman|
|Setting||1950s; Putt's house; Every Town; USA|
An Evening With Elmore & Gwendolyn Putts, The Neighbors Next Door is an American play, a farce written by Richard O’Donnell, directed by Amy McKenzie, and performed by the New Age Vaudeville theater company in Chicago.
Originally staged at the Comedy Cabaret in Bailey’s Harbor, Wisconsin (summer 1985) by New Age Vaudeville, An Evening with Elmore & Gwendolyn Putts, The Neighbors Next Door was officially reopened at the CrossCurrents upstairs cabaret theater, 3206 N. Wilton St., Chicago, October 31, 1986. It had over 200 performances.
An Evening With Elmore & Gwendolyn Putts, The Neighbors Next Door was performed by the New Age Vaudeville Theater Co., members of Actor’s Equity Association (AEA), Production Design by NAV member Peter Neville, and produced and directed by Amy McKenzie.
Because of her pregnancy, Amy McKenzie, who originated the role of Pamela, was replaced by Chicago actress Caroline Schless.
“Something of a Charles Addams cartoon…” An Evening with Elmore & Gwendolyn Putts, The Neighbors Next Door, “…displays a variety of comedic forms--from mime to slapstick, one-liners to thoughtful satirical jabs,” and has a “…wizardry in blending 50’s sitcom norms with comic impersonations.”
An Evening with Elmore & Gwendolyn Putts, The Neighbors Next Door, is a musical comedy farce that reveals one late afternoon in the life of a suburban family of nerds. The Putts are so dysfunctional, in fact, that when victimized and held captive by a home invader, a crazed biker named “Helmet Head” they thwart his plans to rob them and instead recruit him into their family.
Roles and Cast
- Elmore Putts - Richard O’Donnell
- Gwendolyn Putts - Megan Cavanagh
- Clifford Putts - Todd Erickson
- Mel “Helmet Head” Farley - Bobby McGuire
- Pamela - Caroline Schless
- Kogan, Rick (May 3, 1987). "Vaudeville Troupe Takes Leave of City". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- Kogan, Rick (November 14, 1986). "`An Evening With . . .` Excels Like Few Others". Chicago Tribune - Entrainment section. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- Bommer, Lawrence (November 14, 1986). "An Evening with Elmore and Gwendolyn Putts". Chicago Reader, Vol 16, No. 8.