An Horse on the cover art of their second studio album Walls.
|Genres||Indie, rock, shoegaze|
|Labels||Mom + Pop Music, Grand Hotel van Cleef, Lame-O|
Becoming An Horse
Kate Cooper and Damon Cox met while working at an independent record store called Skinny's in Brisbane, Australia. They began making music together in 2007, and set up a PA in the store, where they would rehearse after-hours and organise shows in the Brisbane area.
2007–2008: Not Really Scared
Their first recording was a 5 song EP called Not Really Scared which was released by local Brisbane label Valve. Kate handed a rough mix version on CD to Tegan and Sara at the Canadian duo's instore performance at Skinny's, and not long after received an invite for An Horse to open their Out of Hibernation US tour in April 2008. Off the back of that tour they were the first band to be signed to New York label Mom + Pop Music by Michael Goldstone. They returned to the US in October 2008 for tours with Bishop Allen and Jessica Lea Mayfield, while continuing to tour at home in Australia with Death Cab For Cutie, The New Pornographers and more.
2009–2010: Rearrange Beds
The debut album Rearrange Beds was released on March 17, 2009 on Mom + Pop and was recorded in Australia with ARIA award-winning Australian producer Magoo and mixed in Vancouver by Howard Redekopp. The album received favourable reviews from Pitchfork, Spin and Rolling Stone. Upon its release they appeared on The Late Show with David Letterman and continued with extensive US touring with acts including The Appleseed Cast, Silversun Pickups, Cage the Elephant, Wintersleep and Telekinesis. They also opened again for Tegan and Sara on Australian, UK and Canadian tours. 2010 touring included shows with Kaki King, Dashboard Confessional and The Big Pink. A 2010 Australian tour with Against Me! was scheduled but was suddenly cancelled. Kate and Damon worked on writing their second album throughout 2010 and recording took place in the Summer in Vancouver with Howard Redekopp producing. 2010 also saw the band tour Germany, Austria and Switzerland extensively as Rearrange Beds saw a release on the Grand Hotel van Cleef label. Festival appearances included Gurten Festival in Bern, Switzerland and MELT! in Germany. A remix EP called Beds Rearranged was released on March 23, 2010. The EP includes remixes of songs from Rearrange Beds by artists such as RAC and Gerard Smith from TV on the Radio.
An Horse released their sophomore album Walls on 26 April 2011 on Mom + Pop. It debuted at number 17 on the Billboard Heatseekers Albums Chart The opening-song, Dressed Sharply, has been iTunes Single of the Week and was praised by NPR. Alternative Press magazine, Pitchfork and Spin also posted positive reviews. Touring for Walls included festival slots at Lollapalooza, Bamboozle, ACL Festival, Osheaga, Southside, Hurricane, Rolling Stone Weekender, Falls Festival, Southbound, SXSW, Sled Island and more. In addition to headline shows in 2011/2012 An Horse toured in the US with Manchester Orchestra, Kevin Devine, Nada Surf, Alkaline Trio and in Canada with Brand New and Cursive. Two headline tours of Australia also took place.
2018–2019: Get Out Somehow
On March 1, 2018 the band announced they were going to start playing again, beginning with three shows in Canada with Camp Cope, then on March 5 announced they would be touring the US with The Front Bottoms. On May 16, the band released the single Get Out Somehow, their first new music since 2011.
On 12 March 2009 An Horse made their first ever television appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman performing 'Camp Out'.
- Not Really Scared EP (2008)
- Rearrange Beds album (Mom + Pop Music, 2009)
- Beds Rearranged Remix EP (Mom + Pop Music, 2010)
- Walls album (Mom + Pop Music, 2011)
- Get Out Somehow single (2018)
- "Interview with Kate Cooper from An Horse: No Boundaries".
- "MySpace.com - An Horse - Brisbane, AU - Pop / Indie". MySpace.com. Archived from the original on 9 May 2008. Retrieved 15 May 2008.
- "Valve Records". www.valverecords.com.au. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "Tour Archive – AN HORSE". anhorse.com. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "Artists". Mom+Pop. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "Death Cab For Cutie, An Horse @ Palace Theatre, Melbourne (18/08/2008)". FasterLouder. 2008-08-18. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "An Horse: Rearrange Beds Album Review | Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "An Horse, 'Rearrange Beds' (Mom & Pop)". Spin. 2009-03-05. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "Press – AN HORSE". anhorse.com. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- James Coleman (2009-03-12), An Horse on David Letterman, retrieved 2018-03-03
- "DIY". DIY. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "An Horse Pick Tegan And Sara, New Pornographers Producer For Sophomore Album | Chart Attack". Chart Attack. 2010-04-26. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "2010 Melt Festival Line Up". www.gigwise.com. Retrieved 2018-03-17.
- "Releases – AN HORSE". anhorse.com. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "An Horse Walls Chart History". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "An Horse: Unabashedly Enjoyable". NPR.org. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "An Horse: Walls Album Review | Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "An Horse, 'Walls' (Mom + Pop)". Spin. 2011-04-26. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- Punknews.org. "Tours: Manchester Orchestra (with An Horse, Harrison Hudson, O'Brother)". www.punknews.org. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "Nada Surf add a Brooklyn show & An Horse to tour (dates)". BrooklynVegan. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "Brand New add date to Canadian tour, tap Cursive and An Horse to support - News - Alternative Press". Alternative Press. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "Crowbar Brisbane on sale now – AN HORSE". anhorse.com. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "An Horse., We mentioned we are working on new music, figured..." An Horse. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "Canada shows with Camp Cope – AN HORSE". anhorse.com. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "May/June with The Front Bottoms – AN HORSE". anhorse.com. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "An Horse are back with a new song, tours with Front Bottoms & Camp Cope". BrooklynVegan. Retrieved 2018-05-19.
- Sacher, Andrew (23 January 2019). "Death Cab, Tegan & Sara, Silversun Pickups & Kevin Devine reflect on An Horse's debut (which is being reissued)". Brooklyn Vegan. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "The Mercedes CLC-Class". Mercedes-Benz Australia/Pacific Pty Ltd. Archived from the original on 4 February 2009. Retrieved 21 December 2008.
- "Amazon.com: Not Really Scared: An Horse: Music". Amazon.com. Archived from the original on 26 April 2008. Retrieved 15 May 2008.
- "An Horse's Rearrange Beds in stores March 17, 2009". Altsounds Ltd. 8 December 2008. Archived from the original on 11 December 2008. Retrieved 21 December 2008.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 16 March 2009. Retrieved 2011-02-03.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- AN HORSE (2018-05-16), AN HORSE - Get Out Somehow [Official Audio], retrieved 2018-05-19