An Innocent Man (song)
|"An Innocent Man"|
|Single by Billy Joel|
|from the album An Innocent Man|
|B-side||"I'll Cry Instead" (live)|
|Genre||Pop rock, soft rock, blue-eyed soul|
|Billy Joel singles chronology|
The song, whose musical style is an homage to Ben E. King and The Drifters, reached #10 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, the third consecutive top 10 single from the album. It also spent one week at #1 on the Billboard adult contemporary chart.
Joel was quoted in a 1997 interview describing the high notes he sang during the song: "I had a suspicion that was going to be the last time I was going to be able to hit those notes, so why not go out in a blaze of glory? That was the end of Billy's high note."
No music video was made for this song.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||23|
|Canadian Singles Chart||16|
|Irish Singles Chart||3|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||24|
|UK Singles Chart||8|
|US Billboard Hot 100||10|
|US Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||1|
|UK||Silver||April 1, 1984||200,000|
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 8th Edition (Billboard Publications)
- Hyatt, Wesley (1999). The Billboard Book of #1 Adult Contemporary Hits (Billboard Publications)
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- UK certifications Bpi.co.uk (Retrieved September 2, 2008)