She graduated from Middlebury College with a Bachelor of Arts in 1972, from University of Pennsylvania with a Master of Arts in Folklore and Folklife in 1974, and with a Doctor of Philosophy in Folklore and Folklife in 1983. She was visiting scholar at University of California, Berkeley.
- "The Poetics of Creole Talk: Toward an Aesthetic of Argentine Verbal Art", Journal of American Folklore, Volume 116, Number 459, Winter 2003, pp. 36-56
- Baron, Robert, Cara, Ana, "Introduction: Creolization and Folklore", Journal of American Folklore, 2003
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-06-09. Retrieved 2010-05-03.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-06-16. Retrieved 2010-05-03.
- "Ana Cara", Google Scholar