Ana Mercedes Díaz Cardozo
Ana Mercedes Díaz Cardozo
|Director General of Political Parties of the National Electoral Council of Venezuela|
|Head of the Government |
of the Space Kingdom of Asgardia
|Assumed office |
24 June 2018
|Born||24 March 1960|
|Nationality||Venezuela, United States|
|Alma mater||Universidad Santa María, |
Universidad Central de Venezuela
Ana Mercedes Díaz Cardozo (born 24 March 1960, Caracas, Venezuela) is a Venezuelan lawyer and electoral expert and Prime Minister of the micronation Asgardia. From 1991 to 2004 she was Deputy Director General and then Director General of Political Parties of the National Electoral Council of Venezuela.
Early life and education
Between 1965 and 1977 she studied at the San José de Tarbes School, Colegio Santo Ángel, where she completed two college years in just one at Colegio Nuestra Señora del Carmen, and then completed her High School studies at the Liceo Pedro Emilio Coll in Caracas, Venezuela.
She graduated as a Lawyer at Universidad Santa María, and studied post-graduate courses in Administrative Law at Universidad Central de Venezuela. She has also taken courses in Arbitration, Mediation, and Leadership among others in the United States of America.
Ana Díaz worked at the National Electoral Council of Venezuela (until 1997 called the Supreme Electoral Council), the highest Venezuelan electoral body, for a period of 25 years from 1979 to 2004. In 1989 she started working in Directorate of Political Parties. In 1991 she was appointed the Deputy Director General. Then in 2003 she was appointed the Director General of Political Parties.
She was forcibly resigned from the National Electoral Council in 2004 when she published an information about electoral fraud on the Venezuelan recall referendum. After that she emigrated to the United States where lives permanently. Ana Díaz states that fraud, falsifications and law violations are routine of Venezuela election system from 2004 to the present.
In October 2017 several Venezuelan advocates and lawyers, among them Blanca Mármol and Ana Díaz, sent an address to the Supreme Tribunal of Justice of Venezuela. They demanded to stop preparations for the upcoming regional elections in the middle of October because of unconstitutional procedure of elections' announcement.
Initially regional elections were announced on 10 December 2017. However, during the 5th session of the 2017 Constituent Assembly of Venezuela, it was later suggested to move ahead the elections into October 2017. A month before the elections, 15 October 2017 was selected as the date for regional elections.
In recent years Ana Díaz has been giving conferences and forums focused on the areas of democracy and authentic elections in the United States, Honduras, Nicaragua, Peru, Ecuador, Italy, Colombia, Costa Rica and Spain.
Ana Díaz was an independent observer on the Ecuadorian general election in February 2017. She said about falsifications and fraud on the elections. Her opinion were criticized by the National Electoral Council of Ecuador. At the end of 2018 and the beginning of 2019 Ana Díaz commented possible fraud on the elections and possible changes in electoral system in Spain.
Government of Asgardia
On 24 June 2018 Ana Díaz was appointed as the Chairman of the Government of Asgardia, a newly created "Space Nation". She directs the "Asgardian executive body", setting the priority areas of the supposed Government and organizing its workflow.
Researches and writings
Ana Díaz devoted herself to the study and analysis of the political phenomenon called "Socialism of the 21st Century." She investigated what happened in the countries where this political modality was developed, how electoral processes were carried out in those nations and what this meant for democracies in America and other latitudes.
She has two publications related to personal experiences in the electoral field: Debemos Cobrar (We Must Collect; published in Venezuela in 2007) and 72 Horas en Ecuador: Un Milagro de Dios (72 Hours in Ecuador: A Miracle of God; published in Ecuador in 2018).
Ana Díaz married in 1984 and divorced in 2006. From this union, she had 1 daughter and 1 son, both Venezuelans, who now live in the United States of America, both American citizens. Ana Díaz has the United States citizenship and lives permanently in Florida.
- Ana Mercedes Diaz. Chairman of the Government. — Asgardia.Space
- Bloque democrático no aparece registrado como partido en el CNE. — National Electoral Council, 13 November 2003
- Sugey Hajjar. Ana Mercedes Díaz: Los partidos deben ser los protectores del pueblo. — El Universo, 18 February 2017
- Ana Mercedes Díaz: “Ahora les llegó Sánchez con Iglesias, no les auguro nada bueno”. — AZperiodistas, 23 October 2018
- Observadora electoral venezolana se refugia en embajada de EEUU en Ecuador. — Biendateao, 18 February 2017
- Andrea Peña. “Dicen que España no es Venezuela igual que yo decía que Venezuela no era Cuba”. — Actuall, 19 November 2018
- Exdirectora del CNE recuerda fraude electoral en tiempos de Hugo Chávez. — Radio y Televisión Martí, 4 August 2017
- Antonio Maria Delgado. Cuestionan integridad de registro electoral venezolano. — El Nuevo Herald, 20 September 2010
- Jesús Mitchelle Torres. Los nombres y apellidos de la “falsa oposición venezolana” que disfrazan de democracia al régimen chavista. — Periodista Digital, 9 November 2018
- Ángel Fernández. Salvemos Venezuela del comunismo cubano. — Actuall, 10 January 2019
- Federico Cué Barberena. Elecciones en Venezuela: Inician en medio de visiones enfrentadas de la realidad. — France 24, 15 October 2017
- Alexandra Ulmer, Corina Pons. As Venezuela unrest spreads, Maduro presses on with plans to rewrite charter. — Reuters, 24 May 2017
- Constituyente cubana apobó adelantar las elecciones regionales para el mes de octubre. — La Patilla, 12 August 2017
- Venezuela sets October 15 for regional vote favoring opposition. — Fox News, 11 September 2017
- Alfonso Albán. Pozo asegura que Ana Mercedes Díaz está vinculada a una organización política. — Diario Expreso, 17 February 2017
- Una observadora electoral se refugió en la embajada de EEUU. — Télam, 18 February 2017
- Francesco Manetto. El candidato de Correa encabeza el escrutinio con dudas sobre la segunda vuelta. — El País, 20 February 2017
- La venezolana Ana Mercedes Díaz expone las «manipulaciones desde el poder» al Club de los Viernes de León. — Leonoticias, 10 November 2018
- El CMI Julián Sánchez El Charro acoge la conferencia sobre ‘España, en riesgo de fraude electoral’. — Salamanca 24 Horas, 9 November 2018
- Government of Asgardia. — Asgardia.Space
- Prosperity in the stars. — Room, The Space Journal, Issue No. 4 (18), 2018
- Sergio Jorge. Pedro Sánchez traerá armas y estrategias de su viaje a Cuba. — La Nueva Crónica, 11 November 2018
- Debemos Cobrar by Ana Mercedes Díaz. — Caballo de madera, 28 February 2014
- 72 Horas en Ecuador: Un Milagro de Dios. — Amazon.co.uk