Ortiz at the 29th Annual Imagen Awards in 2014
January 25, 1971
Manhattan, New York
|Residence||New York City|
|Other names||Ana Lebenzon|
|Known for||Ugly Betty, Devious Maids|
|Spouse(s)||Noah Lebenzon (m. 2007)|
Ana Ortiz (born January 25, 1971) is an American actress and singer. She began her acting career in theatre, and in early 2000s starred in the short-lived NBC sitcoms Kristin (2001) A.U.S.A. (2003), and had a dramatic recurring roles in Over There and Boston Legal.
Ortiz is best known for her role as Hilda Suarez in the ABC comedy-drama series Ugly Betty from 2006 to 2010. She also appeared in films like Labor Pains (2009) and Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son (2011), and starred in Little Girl Lost: The Delimar Vera Story (2008). In 2013, Ortiz began starring as Marisol Suarez in the Lifetime television comedy-drama series Devious Maids, for which she received the Imagen Award for Best Actress - Television.
Life and career
Early life and career in theatre
Ortiz was born in Manhattan, and is the daughter of Angel L. Ortiz, a former Philadelphia City Council member of Puerto Rican descent, and an Irish American mother. As a child, Ortiz originally dreamed of becoming a ballerina, and she studied ballet for eight years, until the pain of dancing en pointe forced her to pursue a different artistic discipline. Ortiz graduated from The University of the Arts in Philadelphia.
Switching to singing, Ortiz attended the Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts in New York City and later the University of the Arts in Philadelphia before making her professional stage debut in a regional theater production of Dangerous Liaisons. Her additional stage credits include portraying Chrissy in a European touring production of Hair, regional theater productions such as Dog Lady and the Cuban Swimmer and in the South Coast Repertory Theater's production of References to Salvador Dalí Make Me Hot. After joining LAByrinth Theatre Company, she appeared off-Broadway in In Arabia, We'd All Be Kings, which also co-starred Puerto Rican actress Liza Colón-Zayas and was directed by Academy Award-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman and named one of the 10-best plays of 1999 by the magazine Time Out New York.
Ortiz appeared in several television shows including NYPD Blue, Everybody Loves Raymond, Commander In Chief, ER, and The New Adventures of Old Christine. She had her first series regular role in short-lived NBC comedy series Kristin (2001), opposite Kristin Chenoweth. She later starred in another short-lived sitcom, called A.U.S.A. in 2003, and later had recurring roles in the FX drama Over There, and ABC series Boston Legal.
Ugly Betty and other roles
In 2006, Ortiz was cast as Hilda Suarez, the lead character's sister, in the ABC comedy-drama series Ugly Betty. Originally, Ortiz had auditioned for the Betty Suarez role, but it went to America Ferrera instead. Ortiz said in 2008, "I was super plain. I just put on some glasses and kept my hair kind of flat and layered on the clothing", describing what she wore when auditioning for the role of Betty. "I just wanted them to remember me, so that I could be involved in the future". Ortiz was one of two Philadelphians who were regulars on Ugly Betty, the other being Mark Indelicato, who played her son Justin. Another connection to the city is co-star Becki Newton (who played Amanda Tanen), who graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.
In addition to her role on Ugly Betty, Ortiz was active in films, which include starring roles Tortilla Heaven, and Labor Pains co-starring her former Ugly Betty co-star, Lindsay Lohan. She also had a voice role in Batman: Gotham Knight, and starred in the made-for-television movie Little Girl Lost: The Delimar Vera Story in 2008. Ortiz also had a guest-starring role on Army Wives during its second season. She played a waitress named Sandi. She also appeared in the 2010 music video for Enrique Iglesias and Juan Luis Guerra's "Cuando me enamoro".
Current career and Devious Maids
After Ugly Betty was ended in 2010, Ortiz was cast as lead character in ABC drama pilot True Blue about San Francisco homicide detectives reunited to solve the murder of one of their own. The pilot was not picked up to series. In next year she appeared in the comedy film Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son, and starred in another pilot, called Outnumbered for Fox. This pilot also was not picked up to series. She later had a recurring role of HBO comedy series Hung. Ortiz also starred in the independent films Sleeping with the Fishes, and Such Good People.
In 2012, Ortiz was cast as lead character of ABC comedy-drama pilot Devious Maids, created by Marc Cherry. On May 14, 2012, the pilot was not picked to series by ABC for the 2012–13 United States network schedule. However, on June 22, 2012, Lifetime picked up the pilot with a thirteen-episode order. The series premiered June 23, 2013, on Lifetime with positive reviews from critics. In show, she plays the lead role of Marisol Duarte (the alias of Professor Marisol Suarez). Interestingly, this will be the second series in which her character shares the last name of her previous character from another series. Also in 2013, Ortiz was special guest star in ABC primetime soap opera, Revenge, as Bizzy Preston. In 2014, Ortiz guest-starred in the two another ABC shows: How to Get Away with Murder produced by Shonda Rhimes, and Black-ish.
In an interview she was seen saying that she is incredibly proud of her show Devious Maids. 
Ortiz currently lives in Los Angeles. In her spare time she enjoys hiking, horseback riding, softball, and water sports, and writes poetry. She married musician Noah Lebenzon on June 9, 2007 in Rincón, Puerto Rico. The couple was expecting their first child on June 25, 2009. On Saturday, June 27, 2009, Ana and Noah welcomed a daughter, named Paloma Louise Lebenzon. Paloma was born at 4:25 p.m. and weighed in at 7 pounds 10 ounces. The second child, a son named Rafael, was born on September 24, 2011.
Ortiz is active in raising awareness against domestic abuse, citing her own experiences when she was in her 20s and involved in a romantic relationship that turned physically abusive. In an article for USA Today, Ortiz notes that the final scene from the Ugly Betty episode "How Betty Got Her Grieve Back", in which Hilda sat on her bed staring at the bathroom after realizing that Santos had died, was drawn from that experience: "I used some of that subconsciously ... It's something that is always with me".
|1995||Condition Red||C Block Inmate|
|2000||King of the Korner||Isabel|
|2002||Mr. St. Nick||Lorena|
|2002||Lehi's Wife||Kelly||Short film|
|2008||The Winged Man||Wanda||Short film|
|2008||Batman: Gotham Knight||Anna Ramirez||Voice|
|2011||Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son||Gail Fletcher|
|2011||The Last Generation||Diner Chick||Short film|
|2012||Noah's Ark: The New Beginning||Tier||Voice|
|2013||Sleeping with the Fishes||Kayla Fish||Nominated - Imagen Award for Best Actress|
|2014||Such Good People||Detective Diane Kershman||Film|
|2016||Love is All You Need?||Susan Miller||Post-production|
|1999||Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman: The Movie||Pregnant Woman||Television film|
|2001||Kristin||Santa Clemente||Series regular, 13 episodes|
|2001||Everybody Loves Raymond||Natasha||Episode: "Raybert"|
|2000, 2002||NYPD Blue||Luisa Lopez / Maria Alvarez||Episodes: "A Hole in Juan" and "Dead Meat in New Deli"|
|2002||Strong Medicine||Elena Delgado||Episode: "Family History"|
|2002||Do Over||Mrs. Rice||Episode: "Rock 'n' Roll Parking Lot"|
|2003||A.U.S.A.||Ana Rivera||Series regular, 13 episodes|
|2003||Greetings from Tucson||Angela||Episode: "Eegee's vs. Hardee's"|
|2003||Life on Parole||Loretta||TV pilot|
|2004||North Shore||Ana Green||Episode: "Secret Service"|
|2004||Foster Hall||TV pilot|
|2005||Blind Justice||Letitia Barreras||Episode: "Past Imperfect"|
|2005||Freddie||Gina||Episode: "Rich Man, Poor Girl"|
|2005||Over There||Anna||Recurring role, 7 episodes|
|2006||Commander in Chief||Isabelle Rios||Episode: "Wind Beneath My Wing"|
|2006||Boston Legal||A.D.A. Holly Raines||Recurring role, 4 episodes|
|2006||The New Adventures of Old Christine||Belinda||Episode: "Some of My Best Friends Are Portuguese"|
|2008||Army Wives||Sandy||Episode: "Loyalties"|
|2008||Little Girl Lost: The Delimar Vera Story||Valerie Valleja||Television film
Nominated - Imagen Award for Best Supporting Actress
|2006–10||Ugly Betty||Hilda Suarez||Series regular, 84 episodes
ALMA Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress - Television Series, Mini-Series or Television Movie (2007)
Imagen Award for Best Supporting Actress - Television (2007)
Nominated - ALMA Award for Outstanding Actress in Television - Comedy (2009)
Nominated - Imagen Award for Best Supporting Actress - Television (2008–09)
Nominated - NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series (2010)
Nominated - Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series (2007–08)
|2010||True Blue||Maureen Minillo||TV pilot|
|2011||Outnumbered||Sue Tulley||TV pilot|
|2011||Hung||Lydia||Recurring role, 5 episodes|
|2013–16||Devious Maids||Marisol Suarez / Duarte / Deering||Lead role, 49 episodes
Imagen Award for Best Actress - Television (2014)
Nominated - ALMA Award for Outstanding Actress in Television - Comedy (2013)
Nominated - Imagen Award for Best Actress - Television (2015)
|2013||Revenge||Bizzy Preston||Episode: "Resurgence"|
|2014||How to Get Away with Murder||Paula Murphy / Elena Aguilar||Episode: "Smile, or Go to Jail"|
|2015||Black-ish||Angelica Rodriguez||Episode: "Black Santa/White Christmas"|
|2015||Marry Me||Hailey||Recurring role, 4 episodes|
|2016||Home: Adventures with Tip & Oh|
- "Ana Ortiz on 'Ugly Betty': 'I definitely have a Queens connection'". Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- Gray, Ellen, "'Betty's' Ortiz relishes show's hit status", Philadelphia Daily News, Jan. 16, 2007
- "Ana Ortiz with her father". Flickr. Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- "Ana Ortiz Biography". Tvguide.com. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- LAByrinth Theatre Company Archived September 28, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Claustro, Lisa, "Ortiz Went 'Super Plain' for 'Ugly Betty' Audition, BuddyTV.com, January 5, 2008, reprinting quotes from Sheridan, Patricia, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article (no date or title given)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-06-19. Retrieved 2008-06-18.
- "Ana Ortiz: Enrique Iglesias is a Total, Juicy Hunk". Latina.com. 2010-07-29. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- "'Ugly Betty's' Ana Ortiz joins 'True Blue'". The Hollywood Reporter. 2010-03-03. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "Ana Ortiz To Star In Fox Comedy Pilot 'Outnumbered'". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "HBO CASTINGS: Alice Eve To Recur On 'Entourage', Ana Ortiz On 'Hung' & More". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- "Gina Rodriguez Lands Lead Role in Indie Pic 'Sleeping With the Fishes' (Exclusive)". Hollywoodreporter.com. 2012-07-17. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- "Gay Comedy Such Good People Wraps Production". Indie It Press. 2013-08-19. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "Ana Ortiz To Lead The Cast Of Marc Cherry's ABC Pilot 'Devious Maids'". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- Palomares, Sugey (May 16, 2012). "'DEVIOUS MAIDS' NEVER MAKES IT ON THE AIR — WOULD IT HAVE HURT LATINOS?". Latina. Retrieved May 17, 2012.
- "Marc Cherry's 'Devious Maids' comes to Lifetime this summer". Entertainment Weekly. April 10, 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- "Devious Maids - Season 1 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- ' + data.results.personName + ' (2013-09-27). "'Revenge': 'Devious Maids' Ana Ortiz will guest-star - Zap2it". Blog.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- Michael Ausiello (2013-09-26). "'Revenge' Season 3: Ana Ortiz to Guest Star". TVLine. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- Vlada Gelman (August 8, 2014). "TVLine Items: Ana Ortiz Takes Stab at Murder, Helix Adds Matt Long & More". TVLine. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- Philiana Ng (22 October 2014). "'Black-ish': Ana Ortiz to Guest Star - Hollywood Reporter". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- "Jeremy Sisto & More Join 'Love Is All You Need,' Kea Ho Gets 'Urge'". Deadline. 22 October 2014. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Casting Net: Meg Ryan boards 'Fan Girl,' Jacki Weaver signs on for 'Zeroville;' more". EW.com. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- Baida, Aiyana (November 9, 2013). "Devious Maids' First Season 'Played It Safe,' Actress Ana Ortiz Says". The Huffington Post. Retrieved January 9, 2016.
- Actress Ana Ortiz married in Puerto Rico Archived October 14, 2007, at the Wayback Machine. 11/06/2007
- Ugly Betty's Ana Ortiz is Pregnant! People.com, January 8, 2009
- Ana Ortiz Expecting a Girl! Celebrity Baby Blog, February 10, 2009
- "Ana Ortiz of 'Ugly Betty' let her pain fuel Hilda's, from USA Today (September 24, 2008)". Retrieved 23 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ana Ortiz.|