Vidović in Paraguay, 2011.
|Born||8 November 1980|
|Years active||c. 1988–present|
Ana Vidović (born 8 November 1980) is a classical guitarist; originally from Croatia, she now resides in the United States. A former child prodigy, she has won a number of prizes and international competitions all over the world.
Ana Vidović was born 8 November 1980, in Karlovac, in the former Socialist Republic of Croatia. A child prodigy, she started playing guitar at the age of five, inspired by her brother Viktor. She is also the sister of concert pianist Silvije Vidovic. Her father was an electric guitar player. Vidović began performing at the age of eight and by the age of 11 she was performing internationally, and at 13 became the youngest student to attend the prestigious Academy of Music in Zagreb where she studied with Professor Istvan Romer.
Vidović's reputation in Europe led to an invitation to study at the Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore, U.S. (with Manuel Barrueco), from which she graduated in May 2005. She has lived in the United States since, where she also works as a private tutor.
Vidović plays a Jim Redgate guitar exclusively and has said, "When I got it and began to play, I immediately knew that this was the instrument that I want to be playing for a long time." She has released six CDs published by Croatia Records, BGS, and Naxos and has released two DVDs published by Mel Bay publications.
Vidović has won a number of prizes and competitions, including first prizes in the Albert Augustine International Competition in Bath, England, the Fernando Sor competition in Rome, Italy, and the Francisco Tárrega competition in Benicasim, Spain. Other top prizes include the Eurovision Young Musicians competition, the Mauro Giuliani competition in Italy, the Printemps de la Guitare in Belgium, and the Young Concert Artists International Auditions in New York. The Gramophone remarked on her "extraordinary dexterity".
- Ana Vidovic, Croatia Records, 1994
- Ana Vidović - Guitar, BGS Records (BGCD 103), 1996
- The Croatian Prodigy, BGS, 1999
- Guitar Recital, Naxos Laureate Series (8.554563), 2000
- Ana Vidovic Live!, Croatia Records, 2001
- Federico Moreno Torroba Guitar Music Vol. 1, Naxos (8.557902), 2007
- Mel Bay Presents – Ana Vidovic – Guitar Virtuoso, Mel Bay Publications Inc. (MB21186DVD), 2005
- Mel Bay Presents – Ana Vidovic – Guitar Artistry In Concert, Mel Bay Publications Inc. (MB21991DVD), 2009
- Nina Ožegović (12 January 2010). "Ana Vidović: Američki život hrvatske kraljice gitare" [Ana Vidović: American life of Croatian guitar queen] (in Croatian). Nacional (weekly). Archived from the original on 24 July 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- Shaw, Robert (7 October 2008). Hand Made, Hand Played: The Art & Craft of Contemporary Guitars. Sterling Publishing Company, Inc. p. 51. ISBN 978-1-57990-787-7. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- "Ana Vidovic- Bio, Albums, Pictures – Naxos Classical Music". www.naxos.com. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "Redgate". Classicguitar.com. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- Mackenzie, Sir Compton; Stone, Christopher (2007). The Gramophone. C. Mackenzie. p. 129. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ana Vidović.|