|1,945,439 (Distance education)|
Anadolu University (Turkish: Anadolu Üniversitesi) is a prominent public university in Eskişehir, Turkey.The university is ranked as one of the best universities in Turkey coming next to Middle Eastern Technical University and Istanbul University in Times Higher Education world university rankings.
Anadolu University was created in 1982 from the union of four existing higher education institutes in Eskişehir: the Academy of Economics and Commercial Sciences of Eskişehir, the State Academy of Architecture and Engineering, the Institute of Education, and a medical school. As the Academy of Economics and Commercial Sciences was founded earliest (in 1958), Anadolu University has adopted that year as their date of establishment.
Most of Anadolu University's faculties and schools, including the Open Education Faculty, are located at the Yunusemre Campus in the centre of Eskişehir. The Yunusemre Campus also contains student housing, Anadolu's university hospital, and most of the university's administration buildings.
Ikieylul Campus, just outside Eskişehir's city centre, houses the School of Physical Education and Sports, the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture, and the School of Civil Aviation, along with the associated Anadolu University Airport.
To serve its distance education students, Anadolu University operates 88 administrative centres, or bureaus, in urban areas throughout Turkey, many of which offer academic counselling and optional evening classes.
The Higher Education Act of 1981 nominated Anadolu University as the national provider of distance education, upon which it has placed strong emphasis since its creation in 1982. The university's goal is to educate Turks who live in rural areas and others "who do not have the time or resources to enroll in conventional schools." This effort has been largely successful, as enrollment in open education programs has increased from under 30,000 in 1982-83 to over 870,000 in 2005-06 and is now also available to Turkish communities in Northern Cyprus and the European Union.
Programs offered via distance education include 4-year Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degrees in Economics and in Business Administration and nineteen 2-year associate degrees in a variety of fields. Anadolu University has received a mandate from the Turkish Ministry of National Education to educate Turkey's preschool and English language teachers and does so by distance education, though students in the latter program are also required to take two years of in-person classes.
Courses are delivered by a variety of methods, including pre-recorded television and radio broadcasts, videoconferences, and via internet. Students can also access academic counseling or attend optional evening classes at some of the Anadolu University bureaus located throughout Turkey.
Faculties and Schools
- Distance Education Faculty
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Fine Arts
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Communication Sciences
- Faculty of Business Administration
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Architecture and Design
- Faculty of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- School of Physical Education and Sports
- School of Music and Drama
- School of Industrial Arts
- School for the Handicapped
- School of Tourism and Hotel Management(Faculty since earlier 2012)
- School of Foreign Languages
- State Conservatory
- Eskisehir Vocational School
- Bozüyük Vocational School
- Bilecik Vocational School
- Porsuk Vocational School
- Metin Erad - Actor, Comedian
- Levent Üzümcü - Actor
- Ahmet Vehbi Şafak - Charter Member of Anadol
- Fethi Heper - Football player
- Yılmaz Büyükerşen- Metropolitan Mayor of Eskişehir, former rector of Anadolu University,
- Nurgül Yeşilçay - Actress
- Ayşe Hatun Önal - Model, Actress, Singer-Songwriter
- Beyazıt Öztürk - Television Personality, Standup Comedian and Actor
- Ersin Düzen - Football Commentator, Television Presenter
- Pelin Karahan - Actress
- Sakıp Sabancı, 1984
- Betül Mardin, 1998
- Turgut Özakman, 1998
- Ali Erdemir, 1998
- Alp Erkin Çakmak, 1999
- "About Anadolu University". Archived from the original on 23 June 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-14.
-  World University Rankings
- "Anadolu University: A Brief History". Retrieved 2007-06-21.
- "Bureau Services". Retrieved 2007-06-22.
- "Face-to-Face Academic Advising Services". Archived from the original on 12 July 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-22.
- MacWilliams, Byron (22 September 2000). "Turkey's Old-Fashioned Distance Education Draws the Largest Student Body on Earth". Chronicle of Higher Education. Archived from the original on 13 July 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-22.
- Colin, Latchem; Özkul, Ali E.; Aydin, Cengiz H.; Mutlu, Mehmet E. (November 2006). "The Open Education System, Anadolu University, Turkey: e-transformation in a mega-university". Open Learning: the Journal of Open and Distance Learning. 21 (3): 222.
-  eua.be
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anadolu University.|