|Title||Vipassana meditation teacher|
|Died||2003 (aged 87–88)|
|Teacher||S. N. Goenka, Mahasi Sayadaw|
|Part of a series on|
|Part of a series on|
Anagarika Shri Munindra (1915 – October 14, 2003), also called Munindraji by his disciples, was an Indian Vipassanā meditation teacher, who taught many notable meditation teachers including Dipa Ma, Joseph Goldstein, Sharon Salzberg, and Surya Das. Anagarika simply means a practicing Buddhist who leads a nomadic life without attachment in order to focus on the Dhamma.
He was an active member of the Maha Bodhi Society whose purpose was the resuscitation of Buddhism in India and the restoration of ancient Buddhist shrines there. Munindra was the superintendent of the Mahabodhi Temple at Bodh Gaya from 1953 to 1957, the first Buddhist to hold this position in modern times. From 1957 to 1966 he lived in Burma, where he was a close disciple of Mahasi Sayadaw, who authorized him to teach vipassana meditation. While in Burma he also studied the Pāli Canon thoroughly, before returning to India, where he taught vipassana for many years in Bodh Gaya. He was known to be very open-minded and relaxed in the way he taught. He would encourage his students to study with other teachers, and investigate other traditions.
In the tradition of Ledi Sayadaw
During his stay in Burma he came in close contact with S. N. Goenka and had dhamma discussions with him. Subsequently, he wished to learn Vipassana from Sayagyi U Ba Khin but since he had already learnt Vipassana from a monk, Sayagyi expressed his inability to teach him Vipassana in the tradition of Ledi Sayadaw.
Finally, his wish was fulfilled a few years later when S. N. Goenka started teaching Vipassana in India. Munindra joined a 10-day course conducted by Goenka at Bodhgaya. He was very impressed by the technique, as expressed in a letter of appreciation that he wrote to Sayagyi U Ba Khin after the course.
- "In Memoriam: Anagarika Munindra (1914-2003)". Tricycle: The Buddhist Review. Retrieved March 25, 2016.
- Schmidt 2005, p. 11.
- Schmidt 2005, p. 9.
- Das 2015, p. 49.
- Knaster 2010, p. xiii.
- Knaster 2010, p. xv.
- Knaster 2010, p. x.
- Knaster 2010, p. xvi.
- Knaster 2010, p. xvii.
- "My Friend, Munindraji By S. N. Goenka". Vipassana Research Institute. August 30, 2004. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- Stuart 2020, p. 88–92.
- "The Maha Bodhi" (PDF). April 1972. p. 91. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- Das, Surya (2015), Make Me One with Everything: Buddhist Meditations to Awaken from the Illusion of Separation, Sounds True, ISBN 978-1622034123
- Knaster, Mirka (2010), Living This Life Fully, Shambhala Publications, ISBN 978-1590306741
- Schmidt, Amy (2005), Dipa Ma: The Life and Legacy of a Buddhist Master, Windhorse Publications, ISBN 9781899579730
- Stuart, Daniel M. (2020), S.N. Goenka: Emissary of Insight, Shambhala Publications, ISBN 9781611808186