Anaheim Union High School District
|Anaheim Union High School District|
“The Spirit of Learning Since 1898.”
|501 Crescent Way
Anaheim, CA 92803-3520
|Asst. Superintendent(s)||Dianne Poore,
|Accreditation(s)||Western Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Students and staff|
|Athletic conference||CIF Southern Section|
The Anaheim Union High School District (AUHSD) is a public school district serving portions of the Orange County cities of Anaheim, Buena Park, Cypress, La Palma, and Stanton. It oversees eight junior high schools (7-8), eight high schools (9-12), and one non-magnet, secondary selective school, Oxford Academy (7-12).
Its superintendent, Dr. Elizabeth Novack, was fired in December 2013 without public explanation. The Board of Trustees appointed Michael Matsuda, the district's former BTSA Coordinator who also currently serves as Secretary on the North Orange County Community College District Board of Trustees.
The school district has gained brief national notoriety twice: once in 1968 when members of the organization Mothers Organized for Moral Stability, inspired by the information in the pamphlet "Is the School House the Proper Place to Teach Raw Sex?", flooded a school board meeting and demanded that a course in sex education at the school be suspended, and again in 1978 when it banned the novels Silas Marner and Gone with the Wind from the school curriculum. The books and the course have long since been reinstated.
- Anaheim High School
- Western High School
- John F. Kennedy High School
- Oxford Academy (7th-12th grades)
- Katella High School
- Loara High School
- Magnolia High School
- Savanna High School
- Cypress High School
Junior High Schools
- Ball Junior High School
- Brookhurst Junior High School
- Dale Junior High School
- Lexington Junior High
- Orangeview Junior High School
- South Junior High School
- Sycamore Junior High School
- Walker Junior High School
- Anaheim City School District
- Centralia School District
- Cypress School District
- Magnolia School District
- Savanna School District
- "AUHSD Brochure" (PDF). Anaheim Union High School District. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Anaheim Union High". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved Aug 4, 2012.
- "Anaheim Union High School District Organizational Chart" (PDF). Anaheim Union High School District. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Search to Begin for New Anaheim Schools Superintendent". Voice of OC. Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- "NOCCCD - Board Biographies". NOCCCD. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- Josh Corngold (2008). Toleration, Parents' Rights, and Children's Autonomy: The Case of Sex Education. ProQuest. pp. 149–150. ISBN 978-0-549-85273-5. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- Ockerbloom, John Mark. "Banned Books Online". The Online Books Page, University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved 4 August 2012.