A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||Aftermarket video game console|
The Analogue Nt is an aftermarket Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom designed and manufactured by Seattle-based company Analogue Inc. Designed around the original Nintendo CPU and PPU, the Analogue Nt is one of only a small number of aftermarket NES and Famicom systems that are not designed using emulation, since the Analogue Nt uses the original Nintendo CPU and PPU. The goal of the system was to build a perfect, no-compromises aftermarket NES and Famicom. The default model was released with RGB (RGB, Component, S-Video and Composite) video outputs only, with an additional "add-on" for 1080p HDMI output and a plethora of other digital features. The Analogue Nt's enclosure is solid aluminium unibody enclosure manufactured from 6061 aluminium.
After sellout of the original Analogue Nt, Analogue announced the Analogue Nt mini, which is 20% smaller than the original. The mini includes RGB & HDMI outputs but, according to Analogue's website, doesn't use the original Nintendo CPU & PPU: "The core functionality of the original NES is engineered directly into an Altera Cyclone V, a sophisticated FPGA."
The Analogue Nt was released to critical acclaim, praising how well it looks on HD TVs. PCMAG gave the Analogue Nt a 4/5, calling it "...remarkably crisp, sharp video on 1080p screens...It's simply the best-looking direct feed of an NES cartridge I've ever seen." Vice praised the Analogue Nt's build quality and video quality saying, "the Analogue Nt is a gorgeous machine...The Analogue Nt makes NES games look phenomenal. Seriously. Like, mouth-open, jaw-on-the-floor, tongue-everywhere remarkable." CNET.com said "In an age where retro games just don't look right on modern HDTVs, the Analogue Nt is a magical piece of hardware."
- "If Jony Ive Designed The Original Nintendo, It Would Look Like This". 2014-05-05. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- "Analogue Nt: Classic NES Reborn as a $500 Luxury Machine". Time. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Building a perfect, no-compromises aftermarket NES... for $500". Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Inside the $499 aluminum NES that's crafted like a Leica". Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Analogue Nt mini – Analogue". www.analogue.co. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Analogue Nt". PCMAG. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "We Asked VICE's Interns What They Thought of Video Games Released Before They Were Born". 16 October 2015. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Analogue NT is 8-bit NES perfection - Video". Retrieved 13 April 2018.