Anand Bhate singing in Vasantotsav, 2011
|Birth name||Anand Bhate|
|Genres||Hindustani classical music|
|Years active||1971– Active|
Anand Bhate (born 1971) also known as Anand Gandharva is a Hindustani classical vocalist from the Kirana Gharana. He is popular for his classical singing of songs from the Marathi film Balgandharva (2011).
Early life and training
Anand Bhate was born in Pune, India in 1971, in a family active in classical music. He inherited the singing tradition from his great grandfather Bhate Buva, who was a well known vocalist for Thumri and Natya Sangeet in the 19th century. By the age of 10, he had started systematic training in classical singing from Chandrashekhar Deshpande. He began his training under Yashwantbua Marathe, who introduced him to some of the intricacies of Khayal gayaki. Later he became a disciple of late Bhimsen Joshi, with whom he trained for 15 years.
His first public appearance was as a child in 1981, when he performed Balgandharva's gayaki on All India Radio, Doordarshan and had a tour in the USA. Over the years,he has performed all over India and abroad in many prestigious music festivals such as the Sawai Gandharva Sangeet Mahotsav, Pandit Jitendra Abhisheki Sangeet Samaroha,Chaturang Pratishthan rangsammelan and Learn quest Music Conference.
Bhate has been recipient of numerous awards.He won the National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer for the 2011 Marathi movie on the life of the legendary Marathi stage actor / singer Balgandharva
Bhate is gifted musicalLy as well as academically.He showed excellence in his school academic studies by getting on Pune Division merit lists for both his SSC and HSC examinations.He is a Software Professional working at Zensar Technologies, Pune.
Awards and Achievements
- Honoured with the title “Anand Gandharva” in 1981 at the age of 10
- Released an album of Natyasangeet in 1983
- Swaryogini Dr. Prabha Atre award from Gaanvardhan & Tatyasaheb Natu foundation Pune, for his significant achievements and performing career.
- Balgandharva Gunagaurav Puraskar by Balgandharva Sangeet Rasik Mandal
- Pandit Ramkrishnabua Vaze Young Artiste Award in 2006
- Dr. Prabha Atre Puraskar, by Ganawardhan, Pune in 2012
- National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer for Balgandharva (film)
- Balagandharva Puraskar by Akhil Bharatiya Natya Parishad, Mumbai in 2012
- Maharashtra State award
- Zee award
- MIFTA award
- "Of melodies and sporting spirit". The Hindu. 1 Feb 2010. Retrieved 8 Mar 2012.
young Hindusthani maestro
- Mishra, Garima (10 Mar 2011). "Bal Gandharva to get western artiste on its orchestra". Indian Express. Retrieved 8 Mar 2012.
- Amrutha Byatnal (8 Mar 2012). "Field day for Marathi films". Pune: The Hindu. Retrieved 8 Mar 2012.
- Anand Bhate - Awards and Achievements