|Born||Thrippunithura, Kerala, India|
|Occupation||Novelist, Screen writer, Public speaker, Columnist, Television personality|
|Alma mater||Government Engineering College, Thrissur|
|Notable works||Asura: Tale of the Vanquished |
Ajaya: Roll of the Dice
Ajaya: Rise of Kali
The Rise of Sivagami
Vanara: The Legend of Baali
Sugreeva and Tara
Chaturanga; Book 2 of Bahubali seriesThe Very Extremely Most Naughty Asura Tales For Kids
|Children||Ananya Anand, Abhinav Anand|
Anand Neelakantan is an Indian author, columnist, screenwriter, television personality and motivational speaker. He has authored seven fiction books in English and one in Malayalam. His debut work Asura, The Tale of the Vanquished is based on the Indian epics of Ramayana. His next book series was Ajaya-Roll of the Dice, Ajaya – Rise of Kali based, the two books on the epic Mahabharata told from Kaurava perspective. Anand's books voice the suppressed party or the defeated party. His fifth book Vanara, the legend of Baali, Sugreeva and Tara also follow the same pattern of voicing the defeated side.
Anand Neelakantan also had signed with the producers of Baahubali, the blockbuster film, for a three-book series based on their film and the series will be a prequel to the film. The first book of this trilogy, Rise of Sivagami, was released in March 2017. Netflix has announced a webseries on the book. His books have been translated to different languages such as Tamil, Hindi, Malayalam, Telugu, Kannada, Marathi, Bengali , Gujarati, Assamese and Indonesian Bahasa. The second book in the series, Chaturanga was released on 6 August 2020.
Anand’s Asura is one of the 100 books to be read in a life time as per Amazon. The book has sold more than half a million copies across the years. Three of Anand Neelakantan’s books have been shortlisted for crossword award during the respective years and he is also listed as one among the 100 top celebrities in India in 2015, 2017 by Forbes India. All his books have got critical accreditation from various people across the world.
Anand Neelakantan's fifth book Vanara, the legend of Baali, Sugreeva and Tara is published by Penguin Random House and is a best seller. DAR films and KR movies have announced that they have won the film adoption rights and will be producing a multilingual film on Vanara.
Anand's Malayalam work Pennramayanam has been published by Mathrubhumi books.
Anand also writes a column for New Indian Express on current affairs and his fortnightly column is called "Acute Angle".
Life and career
His debut novel Asura: Tale of the Vanquished was published by Leadstart Publishing on 14 May 2012. The book became a surprise bestseller, breaking into the top seller charts within a week of its launch. His second book was based on Mahabharata and was part of a two book series. Ajaya: Roll of the Dice was released in December 2014 and the sequel Ajaya: Rise of Kali was released in July 2015.
Anand Neelakantan's first book in Bahubali series, The Rise of Sivagami, from the Bahubali: Before the Beginning trilogy released on 7 March 2017. SS Rajamouli, the director of the film Baahubali, revealed the cover of the book at the Jaipur Literature Festival in 2017. The book became a blockbuster and was shortlisted for Crossword Popular award 2018.
List of works
Mahabharata based Novel Series
Ramayana based works
- Asura: Tale of the Vanquished (Leadstart Publishing)
- Vanara: The Legend of Baali, Sugreeva and Tara (Penguin Random House)
- Bhoomija: Sita
- Ravana's Sister: Meenakshi
- Shanta (The Story of Rama's Sister)
- Pennramayanam (Malayalam) Mathrubhumi books Pvt ltd
- The Rise of Sivagami: Book 1 of Baahubali - Before the Beginning (Westland) (2017)
- Chaturanga:Book 2 of Baahubali - Before the Beginning (Westland) (2020)
The Very Extremely Most Naughty Asura tales for Kids (Puffin books) (2020)
- Siya Ke Ram (Star Plus)
- Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat (Colors TV)
- Sankatmochan Mahabali Hanuman (Sony TV)
- Adaalat–2 (Sony TV)
- (Sarfarosh- battle of Saragarhi) Netflix
Awards and accolades
- Kalinga International Literary Award, 2017, Kalinga Literary Festival
- Anand Neelakantan was rated as one of the most promising writers by Indian Express, amongst the six most remarkable writers of 2012 by Daily News and Analysis and rated as the second most read writer of 2012 by Financial Express.
- His first book Asura: Tale of the Vanquished was shortlisted for Crossword popular award in 2013 and his second book, Ajaya: Roll of the dice was shortlisted for Crossword popular award in 2014. His book The Rise of Sivagami (Baahubali #1) was short listed for Crossword popular award in 2018
- His book The Rise of Sivagami (Baahubali #1) received accolades from top Indian book reviewers.
- "Anand Neelakantan's upcoming book is a tale of Asuras for children - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 October 2020.
- "Anand Neelakantan pens debut kids' book". The Indian Express. 26 September 2020. Retrieved 11 October 2020.
- "Amazon.in: 100 books by Indian authors - 100 Books To Read in a Lifetime: Books". amazon.in. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- "Anand Neelakantan takes a 'proto-history' approach in his new book, Vanara". telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- "Anand Neelakantan's book to be adapted to film". outlookindia.com. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- Staff, Scroll. "Film based on Anand Neelakantan's Ramayana spinoff 'Vanara' in the works". Scroll.in. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- "Anand Neelakantan takes a 'proto-history' approach in his new book, Vanara". telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- "Anand Neelakantan's book to be adapted to film - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- ശിവാനന്ദ്, അഖില്. "സീത, മീനാക്ഷി, ശാന്ത... രാമായണത്തിലെ പെണ്കഥാപാത്രങ്ങളെ പുനര്വായിക്കുമ്പോള്". Mathrubhumi. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- "Author". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- "More to myth than meets the eye". The Telegraph. 24 January 2016. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- "How Anand Neelakantan is giving a new spin to mythological tales - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- "Actor Nagarjuna and Amala unveils Ajaya 2, Rise of Kali a book by Anand Neelakantan". Ragalahari. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- "'Asura', a bestseller". The Hindu. 2 January 2013. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "From Duryodhana's perspective". The Hindu. 12 August 2015. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "The Rise of Sivagami (Bahubali Book #1)" by Anand Neelakantan, Westland Books
- "Leadstart Publishing Book Publisher, Distributor and Literary Agent". leadstartcorp.com. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- Admin, India Education Diary Bureau (4 June 2017). "Kalinga International Literary Award to Anand Neelakantan, Kalinga Literary Award to Haraprasad Das, KLF2017 to start from June 10". IndiaEducationDiary.in. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- "The most remarkable Indian writers of 2012". DNA India. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "Anand's 'Asura' in the race for Crossword prize". The Hindu. 13 November 2013. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "The Rise of Sivagami | Anand Neelakantan | Book Review". bookgeeks.in. Retrieved 24 April 2017.