||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010)|
Anand Sharma at the 2012 World Economic Forum annual meeting in Davos
|Minister of Commerce and Industry|
22 May 2009 – 26 May 2014
|Prime Minister||Manmohan Singh|
|Preceded by||Kamal Nath|
|Succeeded by||Nirmala Sitharaman|
5 January 1953 |
Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
|Alma mater||Himachal Pradesh University|
Anand Sharma (Hindi: आनंद शर्मा; born 5 January 1953) is the former Union Cabinet Minister in charge of Commerce and Industry and Textiles in the Government of India. Since June 2014, Sharma is the Deputy Leader of opposition in Rajya Sabha, the upper house of the Indian Parliament.
Early life and education.
Anand Sharma is the son of P. A. Sharma and Prabha Rani Sharma and was born in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh. He was educated at R.P.C.S.D.B. College, Shimla and Faculty of Law, Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla.
Sharma was a prominent leader in the student and youth movement in India, a founder member of the Congress Party's students wing the NSUI. He was also a former President of the Youth Congress. Sharma asserts that the country needed investment in the manufacturing sector and the cost of credit must be brought down for this purpose. In February 2012, Sharma led a business delegation of more than 120 people to Pakistan for improving trade ties. During this visit, he discussed the revision of the existing visa bilateral agreement, signed in 1974, with his Pakistani counterpart Makhdoom Muhammad Ameen Faheem, to facilitate travel by bona fide businessmen from both the countries.
Anand Sharma married Dr. Zenobia on 23 February 1987. They have two sons. He is associated with a number of social and sports organizations and also an all India NGO in disability sector.
- 1984–86 Member, Committee on Petitions, Rajya Sabha
- 1985–88 Member, Joint Parliamentary Committee on Lok Pal Bill
- 1986–89 Nominated to the Panel of Vice-Chairmen, Rajya Sabha
- 1987–88 Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Defence (India)
- 1988–90 Member, Committee on Government Assurances Member, Press Council of India
- April 2004 Elected to Rajya Sabha
- Aug. 2004 – Jan. 2006 Member, Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence; Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of External Affairs; Member, Joint Committee on Salaries and Allowances of Members of Parliament
- Aug. 2004 – July 2006 Member, Business Advisory Committee
- Oct. 2004 – Jan. 2006 Ministry of External Affairs (India)
- 29 Jan. 2006 – 22 May 2009 Minister of State in the Ministry of External Affairs
- 22 May 2009 onwards Minister of Commerce and Industry
- July 2010 Re-elected to Rajya Sabha from Rajasthan 12 July 2011 onwards Minister of Textiles (Additional Charge)
- Conferred “The Order of the Companion of Volta”, top Ghanaian civilian award on 10 November 2008 by President John Kofi Agyekum Kufuor for his commitment to South-South cooperation.
- Honoured with the “Commander of the National Order of Merit”, the highest civilian award of Ivory Coast on 14 January 2009 by the President.
- Special Award for his contribution in strengthening India-South Africa relations given by South African President Jacob Zuma on the occasion of 150 Years of the First Arrival of Indians in South Africa.
- Minister of State (Independent Charge)
- "Minister of Commerce of India Anand Sharma to visit Finland – Embassy of Finland, Washington – Consulate Generals of Finland, New York, Los Angeles : Current Affairs : Ministry for Foreign Affairs News". Finland.org. 23 March 2010. Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- "Anand Sharma named Deputy Leader of Congress in Rajya Sabha". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Cost of credit must be brought down: Anand Sharma". News Track India. 11 February 2012. Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- "India, Pak in final stages of revising visa agreement: Anand Sharma – Economic Times". The Economic Times. 15 February 2012. Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- "Detailed Profile – Shri Anand Sharma – Members of Parliament (Rajya Sabha) – Who's Who – Government: National Portal of India". India.gov.in. Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- "Anand Sharma – Minister of Commerce & Industry, Government of India". Department of Commerce, Government of India. Retrieved 18 March 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anand Sharma.|
|Minister of Commerce and Industry
2009 - 2014
(Minister of State (Independent Charge))