Anandavalleeshwaram Sri Mahadevar Temple
|Anandavalleeswaram Sri Mahadevar Temple|
|Location||Anandavalleeshwaram, Kollam city|
|Major festivals||Maha Shivaratri|
|Date built||11th century|
Anandavalleeswaram Sri Mahadevar Temple in Kollam city is one of the ancient Hindu temples in Kerala, India. Lord Siva and Goddess Anandavally are the deities of this 400-year-old temple. It is located at Anandavalleeswaram, a major neighbourhood of Kollam city, that comes to the west side of Kollam Collectorate.
The 1200 -year-old Sanctum sanctorum of Anandavalleeswaram Mahadeva Temple is finished in teak. This is the only Hindu temple in India which has the deities of Sree Krishnan, Maha Vishnu, Bhoomidevi and Lakshmidevi consecrated as idols under a single structure(Sanctum sanctorum).
The annual festival of Anandavalleeswaram Mahadevar Temple lasts for ten-days and popularly known as 'Thirukodiyettu Festival'. Every year, the festival will begin with the traditional 'Nirmalyadarshanam'. There would be other rituals including Pallivetta ritual, Arattu, Aratu Ethirelpu, Ezhunallathu, Kettukazhcha ritual and other cultural programmes comprising dance, dramas, music programmes and also pyrotechnic display as part of the annual festival. Sivarathri festival is the other important one celebrated by the temple every year.
- Recently, an antique idol stolen from Anandavalleeswaram temple on 2 August 2015. On 3 August, the temple pond were emptied in the presence of the Kollam City Police as part of the investigations to find the panchaloha idol of Lord Krishna. Later on 11 August 2015, a Police team under the Kollam City Police led by City Police Commissioner P. Prakash IPS has recovered the stolen idol from a house at Pothencode in Thiruvananthapuram. This is an old idol of gosalakrishna in 9th century old under the custodian of kollam raja in his palace named as puthukulangara palace (old name of anandavalleswarm was puthukulangara ) .
- "Sreekovil renovation gets the final nod". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Sreekovil renovation gets the final nod". Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "400-year-old sreekovil to be replaced". The Hindu. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Temple festival begins today". The Hindu. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Sivarathri rituals at Anandawalleshwaram temple". The Hindu. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Antique idol stolen from Anandawalleshwaram temple". The Hindu. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Temple pond emptied in bid to trace antique idol". The Hindu. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Stolen panchaloha idol recovered from capital suburb". The Hindu. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
|This article about an Indian Hindu place of worship is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|