Anant Prasad Sharma or A P Sharma (25 December 1919 – October 1988) was an Indian Railway Union leader, politician who became Minister of State for Industry, and Union Minister of the government of India. He was also the Governor of the State of Punjab and the State of West Bengal. He was a member of the 3rd Lok Sabha and 5th Lok Sabha from Buxar (Lok Sabha constituency). He also remained member of the Rajya Sabha thrice, 1968-1971, 1978-1983 and 1984-1988.
Early years and education
Anant Sharma was born 25 December 1919 to Ram Naresh Sharma, in Gaudarh, a small village in Bhojpur District, Bihar (then in Shahabad District). He was born into a humble family background. He studied at D.A.V. HS School, Asansol, Government Middle School, Shahpurpatti, and Town School, Arrah. Thereafter he joined Bihar National College, Patna for graduation. While still in college he Assistant General Secretary of the Bihar unit of the All India Students Federation. Soon, he left his studies to join independence movement.
Sharma was a Railway Union Leader. Based upon his career as a trade union leader, he was invited by Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India, to run for the Parliamentary elections from the constituency of Buxar, Bihar. He ran and won in 1962 and again in 1971. In 1966, he became the President of Bihar Pradesh Congress Committee (PCC).
In 1974 he was made the Minister of State for Industry, Government of India, under the Prime Ministership of Indira Gandhi. Thereafter he went on to become the Union Minister in Government of India, for Ministries including Communications, Surface Transport, Shipping and Civil Aviation. He was the Minister of Communications from 1982 to 1983. Shri A P Sharma became the Governor of the State of Punjab and the State of West Bengal in 1983.
His eldest son, Shri Hriday Narayan Sharma, an India Railway's officer was asked by Shri Rajiv Gandhi to contest the Bihar State Assembly Elections from Dumraon in 1990. He and his family are settled in Delhi.
- "MEMBERS OF LOK SABHA - A". Parliament of India. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- "Alphabetical List Of Former Members Of Rajya Sabha Since 1952 -S: 109. Sharma Shri Anant Prasad". Rajya Sabha. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- "Members Bioprofile: Fifth Lok Sabha". Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- "Election Commission of India"
- "Mtg with Shri Anant Prasad Sharma, Union Minister of State for Industry & Civil Supplies on 21 Oct 1974 | Bihar Chamber of Commerce & Industries". Biharchamber.org. 1974-10-21. Retrieved 2013-12-19.
- Minister of State Former Ministers. "Former Ministers | Minister's Page | About Us | Department of Telecommunications". Dot.gov.in. Retrieved 2013-12-19.
- "List of Governors of West Bengal". Sensonmedia.net. Retrieved 2013-12-19.
- "The Raj Bhavan is not just a heritage building". Rajbhavankolkata.gov.in. Retrieved 2013-12-19.