|Locale||Kerala & Tamil Nadu|
|First service||30 June 2002(initial run between Thiruvananthapuram Central and Chennai Egmore)|
1 November 2017(extended to Kollam Junction)
|Current operator(s)||Indian Railway|
|Start||Kollam Junction (QLN)|
|End||Chennai Egmore (MS)|
|Distance travelled||859 km (534 mi)|
|Average journey time||17 hours 5 minutes|
|Class(es)||AC 1st Class, AC 2 tier, AC 3 tier, 12 Sleeper 3 tier, 4 Unreserved|
|Seating arrangements||Chair car & Bench seat|
|Sleeping arrangements||Couchette cars|
|Observation facilities||Large windows|
|Rolling stock||WAP-7, WAP-4|
|Track gauge||5 ft 6 in (1,676 mm) Indian gauge|
|Electrification||25 kV AC 50 Hz|
|Operating speed||50 km/h (31 mph)|
|Rake sharing||Sethu Express|
Ananthapuri Express is an express train running between Kollam Junction and Chennai Egmore via Thiruvananthapuram Central, Tiruchirappalli, Madurai and Tirunelveli through the trunk line and chord lines in Southern India. It is a daily overnight service. From Chennai Egmore, train no:16723 departs by 19:50 hours and reaches Kollam Junction at 13:00 hours the next day. The parallel train numbered 16724 starts 15:00 Hours from Kollam and reaches Chennai around 08:05 hours the next day. Proposal of the train was on 30 June 2002 Central budget of railways, operating six days a week. Later in 2005 it is made daily train. In the beginning it ran between Chennai Egmore and Thiruvananthapuram Central. In 2017 Central budget, it is extended to Kollam with effect from 1 November 2017.
It runs along the Kollam-Thiruvananthapuram trunk line and other chord lines through one among the shortest routes from Kollam to Chennai via Thiruvananthapuram, Nagercoil, Tirunelveli, Virudhunagar, Madurai, Trichy, Villupuram and Chengalpattu.
Kollam Junction → Paravur → Varkala Sivagiri → Thiruvananthapuram Central → Neyyattinkara → Parassala → Kuzhithurai → Eraniel → Nagercoil Junction → Aralvaimozhi → North Panagudi → Valliyur → Nanguneri → Tirunelveli Junction → Vanchi Maniyachchi Junction → Kadambur → Kovilpatti → Satur → Virudhunagar Junction → Tirumangalam → Madurai Junction → Kodaikanal Road → Dindigul Junction → Tiruchirappalli Junction → Vriddhachalam Junction → Viluppuram Junction → Tindivanam → Melmaruvathur → Maduranthakam → Chengalpattu Junction → Tambaram → Mambalam → Chennai Egmore
- 16723 - Starts for Chennai Egmore daily at 7:50 PM IST and reach Kollam Jn next day at 1:30 PM IST
- 16724 - Leaves Kollam Jn every day at 15:00 HRS IST and reach next day Morning 8:10 AM IST
The engine of 16723 Express caught fire at Kollam Junction on 16 July 2018.
- Chennai Egmore–Kollam Junction Express
- Guruvayur Express
- Kollam–Visakhapatnam Express
- Silambu Express
- Pothigai Express
- "New Thiruvananthapuram-Chennai express train from June 30". The Hindu. 18 June 2002.
- "Extended destination of three daily trains running through the state". Times of India. 25 October 2017.
- "Southern Railway - Gateway of South India". Retrieved 6 April 2018.
- "India Rail Info - Anantapuri Express". Retrieved 6 April 2018.
- "16723-Chennai Egmore-Kollam Junction Anantapuri Express". India Rail Info. Retrieved 6 April 2018.
- (Malayalam, not available in English) manoramaonline.com...train.html