|Close-up photo of the capitula|
(L.) Benth. & Hook.f. (1873)
Anaphalis margaritacea, commonly known as the western pearly everlasting or pearly everlasting, is an Asian and North American species of flowering perennial plant in the sunflower family. It is widespread across most of the United States and Canada, as well as northwestern Mexico. Asian populations are found in China, the Russian Far East, Japan, Korea, northern Indochina, and the Himalayas. The species is reportedly naturalized in Europe though not native there.
Anaphalis margaritacea grows erect up to about 1.2 meters and has narrow, alternate leaves. One salient feature is that the undersides of the leaves are covered in tiny hairs, giving them a woolly feel and appearance. The stems are dry and brittle. The small whitish to yellowish flower grows in a corymb inflorescence. The inflorescence's most conspicuous part is the numerous white bracts that surround the disc florets.
The plant is dioecious, meaning the pollen-producing (male) and seed-producing (female) flowers are borne on separate plants. It prefers dry, sunny climates, although it is hardy to temperatures well below freezing. The leaves and young plants are edible when cooked.
- Varieties and subspecies
- Anaphalis margaritacea var. cinnamomea (DC.) Herder ex Maxim.
- Anaphalis margaritacea subsp. japonica (Maxim.) Kitam.
- Anaphalis margaritacea var. margaritacea
- Anaphalis margaritacea var. yedoensis (Franch. & Sav.) Ohwi
- NatureServe (2006), "Anaphalis margaritacea", NatureServe Explorer: An online encyclopedia of life, Version 6.1., Arlington, Virginia
- International Organization for Plant Information (IOPI). "Plant Name Search Results" (HTML). International Plant Names Index. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN) (1999-12-19). "Taxon: Anaphalis margaritacea (L.) Benth. & Hook. f.". Taxonomy for Plants. USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program, National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- The Plant List Anaphalis margaritacea (L.) Benth. & Hook.f.
- Flora of North America Vol. 19, 20 and 21 Page 427 Pearly everlasting, anaphale marguerite, immortelle blanche, Anaphalis margaritacea (Linnaeus) Bentham & Hooker f.
- Biota of North America Program 2014 county distribution map
- Flora of China, Vol. 20-21 Page 796 珠光香青 zhu guang xiang qing Anaphalis margaritacea (Linnaeus) Bentham & J. D. Hooker f.
- C.Michael Hogan. Species editor. 2010. Anaphalis margaritace. Encyclopedia of Life
- Nesom, Guy L. (2006), "Anaphalis margaritacea", in Flora of North America Editorial Committee, eds. 1993+, Flora of North America 19, New York & Oxford: Oxford University Press, p. 427
- "Pearly everlasting (Anaphalis margaritacea)".