|Industry||Enterprise Performance Management, Software Company|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California|
|Michael Gould, Founder and CTO
Frank Calderoni, Chief Executive Officer
Paul Melchiorre, Chief Revenue Officer
Doug Smith, Executive VP Strategic Accounts
Simon Tucker, Chief Customer Officer
Anup Singh, Executive Vice President and CFO effective July 31, 2017
Dennis Dresser, Managing Director, Americas
Jack Whyte, Global Head of Engineering
Anaplan is a cloud-based planning and performance management platform with documented use cases in finance, sales, supply chain, marketing, IT and HR. The company competes in the business planning market, which for decades has been dominated by the “big four” legacy vendors: IBM, Oracle, SAP, and Microsoft. Anaplan CTO Michael Gould developed Anaplan as a response to these legacy systems. At the core of Gould's technology is a single hub where business users can build, deploy, maintain, and share models without coding or reliance on IT personnel. Founded in the United Kingdom, the company is now headquartered in the United States.
Anaplan is headquartered in San Francisco, (United States of America), with further American offices in Minneapolis, Chicago, and New York. There are three offices in the United Kingdom including the founding office in York, plus London, and Maidenhead. Additional global offices are located in France, Sweden, Netherlands, Austria, Russia, Australia, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Japan, and Singapore.
Anaplan was founded in 2006 by Guy Haddleton and Michael Gould in Yorkshire, UK. Gould noted, “Outdated technologies and disconnected legacy applications have made dynamic interaction across teams nearly impossible, forcing users into static models that can’t keep pace with daily change” – and set about to change that. He spent two years developing a platform that could utilize new computing abilities, such as in-memory computing, 64-bit multi core processing, database innovation, and SaaS delivery. After four years of platform development, Anaplan was officially launched to the public in October 2010.
By the end of 2010, Anaplan had gained market traction and was being hailed as a creator of the “new market” in performance management. Anaplan brought on Frederic Laluyaux as CEO in 2012. The company attracted new funding, doubled its headcount, opened new offices worldwide, and added some notable customers. Laluyaux left the company in April 2016.
In November 2014 the company launched the Anaplan App Hub, “a community for all Anaplanners to build, share, and deploy planning apps,” with dozens of planning apps across 10 industries. For its fiscal year ending January 31, 2015, the company reported that bookings grew 230%, representing 2.1 times more bookings than the previous two years combined, and 91% growth in customers.
Anaplan scaled up its cloud platform and launched a “slick new user interface” in 2015. The company updated its App Hub, added platform enhancements, and improved tools for app-builders in 2016.
In January 2017 Anaplan appointed Frank A. Calderoni to be CEO. Calderoni was previously executive vice president and CFO of Red Hat, Inc., and had held leadership positions at Cisco Systems and SanDisk.
Financing & Investors
Anaplan announced May 13, 2014 at its Hub 2014 conference in San Francisco that it has completed a Series D round of $100 million in financing, bringing total investment in the company to $150 million. Lead investor of this round was DFJ Growth.
A further round of funding was announced in January 2016, amounting to $90 million, along with confirmation of Anaplan's status as a tech "unicorn," with a valuation of over $1 billion. Lead investor of this Series E investment was PremjiInvest.
Anaplan's Hyperblock™ architecture is a hybrid of relational, vertical, and OLAP databases with an in-memory data store multi-threaded calculation engine. The HyperBlock™ automatically records updates at a granular level by amending only the affected cells. As volumes scale, users can instantaneously update or change models. A patent application for the technology was filed on November 19, 2009, and US Patent 8151056B2 was awarded on April 3, 2012.
The “Living Blueprint” is the brain behind Anaplan’s in-memory platform. This master repository of business rules is where all the intelligence behind a model is generated and maintained. This allows adjustments to the model to be made in seconds, thus allowing the model to grow and adapt with a constantly changing business. Anaplan is delivered in a Software-as-a-Service (“SaaS”) model and is completely cloud-based. This eliminates the need for dedicated hardware or maintenance teams to make the platform work. It also enables “Zero Deployment” – users can log onto the platform on almost any device, from anywhere.
In November 2014 Anaplan announced the launch of the Anaplan App Hub, a community for Anaplan users to build, share, and deploy planning apps. The App Hub launched with dozens of planning apps across 10 industries including Budgeting, Planning and Forecasting, Sales Forecasting, Trade and Promotion Planning, Territory and Quota Planning, Financial Consolidation, Incentive Compensation Planning, Strategic Financial Planning, Insurance Premium Planning, and Human Asset and Labor Optimization (HALO), amongst others.
Anaplan has an annual global user conference: Anaplan Hub. The Anaplan community, including customers, prospects, partners, and Anaplan employees, come together for training, breakout sessions, keynotes, product announcements, and technical education.
In May 2013, the inaugural Hub took place in San Francisco. Customer speakers included Diageo, Pandora, McAfee, HealthTrust, Serena Software, Wind River, 2degrees, and AirAsia Expedia. In October 2013, it hosted Hub Europe in London. Customer speakers included Aviva, Hewlett-Packard, and Kimberly-Clark Eastern Europe.
In 2014 Anaplan expanded the Hub conference beyond its flagship event in San Francisco to include a world tour. The tour included conferences in Eindhoven, Stockholm, Paris and London. In 2015, Anaplan reported hosted more than 3,000 planning professionals at its Hub15 global tour, held in seven cities worldwide.
At its flagship Hub conference in San Francisco in 2016, the company hosted more than 1,500 technology innovators, analysts, and business executives, including representatives from Deloitte, Kellogg Company, DocuSign, and Splunk. Combined with regional Hub conferences in Singapore, Stockholm, Brussels, Amsterdam, Paris, Moscow, and London, the company reported hosting more than 3,500 planning professionals worldwide in 2016.
On March 27–29, 2017 Anaplan will hold Hub17, its global user conference, in San Francisco. More than 1,5000 customers, prospects, and partners are expected, and more than 115 breakout sessions will be offered. Hub17 will be followed in 2017 by regional events, known as “Hub Comes to You,” in Amsterdam, Brussels, London, Moscow, Paris, Stockholm, and Zurich.
Awards & Honors
- 15 Companies to Watch – FSN, 2011
- Gartner Cool Vendor in Finance and Procurement – Gartner, 2012
- Operational Innovation Award for Sales Excellence – Ventana Research, 2012
- OnDemand Top 100 in Business Management Application Software – AlwaysOn, 2013
- Gartner Magic Quadrant Visionary for Sales Performance Management – Gartner, 2015
- Gartner Magic Quadrant Visionary for Corporate Performance Management – Gartner, 2015
- Internet Trends Report – Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, 2015
- #28 on the 2016 Forbes Cloud 100 list
- Forrester names Anaplan a leader in the Forrester Wave™ Enterprise Performance Management, Q4 2016
- Gartner named Anaplan a Visionary in the Strategic Corporate Performance Management (SCPM) Magic Quadrant
- Gartner named Anaplan a Challenger in the Sales Performance Management (SPM) Magic Quadrant
- Anaplan named to Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Enterprise Software for 2016
- Forrester recognized Anaplan in its 2016 Breakout Vendors: SaaS Business Applications
- Morgan Stanley selected Anaplan to receive its 2016 CTO Award for Innovation
- Anaplan is named to first-ever Forbes 2016 World’s Best 100 Cloud Companies list
- Gartner recognized Anaplan in the Hype Cycle for Human Capital Management Software, 2016 for Workforce Planning and Modeling
- SiriusDecisions includes Anaplan in the Sales Compensation Management SiriusView 2016 for Incentive Compensation Management
- "How To Choose Among The Four Bright Lights Of BI - InformationWeek".
- "Anaplan Expands its Presence in Minneapolis | Anaplan". Anaplan. 2014-06-25. Retrieved 2016-06-03.
- Nusca, Andrew. "Anaplan acquires reseller Vue Analytics; taps SAP Europe vet - ZDNet".
- "Wrap up: Recent fundings for Stockholm startups - Swedish Startup Space".
- "VC-Backed Anaplan Opens New European Office and Announces Two New Hires to Lead it". 21 August 2013.
- "Anaplan Launches Moscow Office, Expanding Its Footprint Into Eastern Europe - PR.com".
- Spencer, Leon. "$100m funding round sees Anaplan launch in Australia - ZDNet".
- "Anaplan set to shake up Malaysian ERP market". 5 May 2014.
- "MIS-Asia - Anaplan chooses Singapore to launch its business in Asia".
- "FSN interviews Guy Haddleton, CEO Anaplan". fsn.co.uk. FSN Publishing Limited. 2011-03-14. Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- "FSN ~ Financial Reporting ~ Review of 2011 – a year of surprising innovation".
- Basich, Zoran. "The Daily Start-Up: Aerohive Buzzes With $22.5M Led by IVP Amid Sweet Mobile Connectivity Demand".
- "FSN ~ BI, BPM & CPM ~ FSN Interviews Frederic Laluyaux, CEO Anaplan".
- Rao, Leena. "Business Data Modeling And Planning Software Company Anaplan Raises $33M From Meritech, Shasta And Others".
- "Anaplan Chosen to Power HP Sales Planning in the Cloud".
- Smith, Mark. "Anaplan Innovates Business Modeling and Planning".
- "VC-Backed Anaplan Opens New European Office and Announces Two New Hires to Lead it - PE Hub". 21 August 2013.
- "Aviva Selects Anaplan to Improve Global Forecasting Process".
- "Anaplan Launches App Hub—the First-ever App Community for Enterprise Planning". Anaplan. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- "Anaplan Achieves 230% Bookings Growth in 2014". Anaplan. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- Henschen, Doug. "Anaplan scales up, adds more apps | ZDNet". ZDNet. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- "ANAPLAN UNVEILS UPDATED APP HUB EXPERIENCE FEATURING 100+ INDUSTRY-SPECIFIC APPS – Global Banking And Finance Review Magazine – Financial & Business Insights". www.globalbankingandfinance.com. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- "Anaplan hires CEO ahead of U.S. software firm's 2017 IPO". Reuters. 2017-01-10. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- "Anaplan Closes on $11.4M". pehub.com. PE Hub Network. 2012-01-19. Retrieved 2016-12-22.
- "Anaplan Raises $100 Million in Series D Financing".
- Miller, Ron (2016-01-14). "With $90 Million In New Funding And Unicorn Status, Anaplan Looks Ahead to IPO". techcrunch.com. TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-12-22.
- "Anaplan Valued at $1.1 Billion After $90 Million Pre-IPO Round". 14 January 2016 – via www.bloomberg.com.
- Gage, Deborah. "Anaplan Achieves $1.09 Billion Valuation With New Round".
- "Taylor Wimpey builds cloud forecasting process with Anaplan".
- Updating data within a business planning tool
- "Cloud Startup In Focus - Anaplan »".
- Miller, Ron. "Anaplan App Hub Wants To Bring Open-Source Sharing Ethos to Financial Planners".
- "Anaplan Holds First Annual Customer Event in San Francisco".
- "Anaplan hosts over 3,000 enterprise planners at its Hub global tour". Anaplan. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- "Anaplanner of the Year, Visionary of the Year recognized at Hub16". Anaplan. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- "Anaplan hosts 3,500 enterprise planners at its Hub16 world tour | Anaplan". Anaplan. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- "Discover endless possibilities with Anaplan at Hub17, our premier planning and performance management conference.". Anaplan Hub 17. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- "Hub Comes to You - Hub comes to you". Hub comes to you. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- "FSN ~ Enterprise Financials ~ FSN Market Roundup 2010".
- "Cool Vendors 2012: The Nexus Alters Business and Consumer Strategies".
- Research, Ventana. "Operational Innovation Award for Sales Excellence".
- "Magic Quadrant for Sales Performance Management".
- www.kpcb.com, Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers. "2016 Internet Trends Report".
- "Forbes Cloud 100". Forbes. Retrieved 19 December 2016.
- "Forrester Wave Enterprise Performance Management, Q4 2016".
- "Strategic Corporate Performance Management Magic Quadrant".
- "Sales Performance Management Magic Quadrant".
- "Fast Company's Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Enterprise Software for 2016".
- "Forrester 2016 Breakout Vendors: SaaS Business Applications".
- "Morgan Stanley Award".
- "Forbes 2016 World's Best 100 Cloud Companies list".
- "Gartner Hyper Cycle for Human Capital Management Software, 2016 for Workforce Planning and Modeling". Gartner.
- "SiriusDecisions SiriusView 2016 for Incentive Compensation Management".