|Anatolii Alexeevich Karatsuba|
31 January 1937|
Grozny, Soviet Union
|Died||28 September 2008
|Alma mater||Moscow State University|
Anatoly Alexeevitch Karatsuba (or Karačuba) (Russian: Анато́лий Алексе́евич Карацу́ба; Grozny, Soviet Union, January 31, 1937 – Moscow, Russia, September 28, 2008) was a Russian mathematician working in the field of analytic number theory, p-adic numbers and Dirichlet series.
For most of his student and professional life he was associated with the Faculty of Mechanics and Mathematics of Moscow State University, defending a D.Sc. there entitled "The method of trigonometric sums and intermediate value theorems" in 1966. He later held a post at the Steklov Institute of Mathematics of the Academy of Sciences.
The Karatsuba algorithm is the earliest known divide and conquer algorithm for multiplication and lives on as a special case of its direct generalization, the Toom–Cook algorithm. His eponymous algorithm is a fast procedure for multiplying large numbers, a divide and conquer algorithm later asymptotically improved by the Schönhage–Strassen algorithm which is based on the A. A. Karatsuba ideas and its development.
The main research works of Anatoly Karatsuba were published in more than 160 research papers and monographs.
- 1998 Russian Mathematical Survey 53 419 http://iopscience.iop.org/0036-0279/53/2/M21
- D. Knuth, TAOCP vol. II, sec. 4.3.3
- Karatsuba, A. A. (2013). "Comments to My Works,Written by Myself". Proceedings of the Steklov Institute of Mathematics (Supplementary issues) (282:1): 1–23.
- Gritsenko, E. A. Karatsuba, M. A. Korolev, I. S. Rezvyakova, D. I. Tolev, M. E. Changa, S.A. (2013). "Scientific Achievements of Anatolii Alekseevich Karatsuba". Proceedings of the Steklov Institute of Mathematics (Supplementary issues) (280:2): 1–22.
- List of research works, Anatolii Karatsuba, Steklov Mathematical Institute (accessed March 2012).
- G. I. Archipov; V. N. Chubarikov (1997). "On the mathematical works of professor A. A. Karatsuba". Proc. Steklov Inst. Math. 218.
- Anatoly Karatsuba at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Karatsuba Anatolii Alexeevitch (personal home page)". Archived from the original on 6 October 2008. Retrieved November 17, 2008.
- List of Research Works at Steklov Institute of Mathematics