Anatoly Yakovlevich Taranetz
|Anatoly Yakovlevich Taranetz|
|Born||3 July 1910|
|Died||10 December 1941 (aged -66)|
|Citizenship||Soviet Union / Russia|
|Institutions||Russian Academy of Sciences|
|Alma mater||Vladivostok Industrial College (now Vladivostok Shipbuilding College)|
Anatoly Yakovlevich Taranetz (3 July 1910 – 10 December 1941) was a Soviet Russian ichthyologist, notable for his contribution to the study of ichthyofauna of the North Pacific and Far Eastern seas of Russia.
- Spring 1929 - Graduated from the Vladivostok Industrial College (now Vladivostok Shipbuilding College) and became
- Spring 1929 - Observer in the raw materials sector of the Pacific Fisheries Research Center (TINRO-Center, part of the Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences)
- 1932 - Marine Researcher, TIRH Complex Pacific Expedition of the State Hydrological Institute and the Pacific Committee of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- 1933 - Started work at the Leningrad Zoological Institute
- 1934 - Defended his thesis on "Freshwater fish of the North-Western basin in the Sea of Japan"
- 1934 - Participated in the expedition to Sahalin
- 1939 - Leader of a group for the study of salmon
- Beginning of 1941 - Editor of the Guide to the fishing industry of the Far East
- November 10, 1941 - Drafted into the army
- December 1941- His echelon is destroyed by enemy aircraft
Taranetz conducted his later research (1938-1941) on the Amur River, paying special attention to the methodology of studying the yield of any one generation of salmon and its dependence upon hydrological and other factors.
Taranetz produced about 30 published works, including a series of articles on the ichthyofauna of Amur River, and over 20 manuscripts devoted to both individual species and genera of fish, and ichthyofauna of various areas of the Far East.
- Taranetz, A.Y. (1937). Guide to the Fishes of the Soviet Far East and Adjacent Waters (or Handbook for Identification of Fishes of Soviet Far East and Adjacent Waters). 11. Proc. Pacific Inst. Fish. (Pacific Scientific Institute of Fisheries and Oceanography). p. 200.
List of taxa named in honour of A.Y. Taranetz
- Arhynchobatidae: Rhinoraja taranetzi (Dolganov, 1983)
- Salmonidae: Salvelinus taranetzi (Kaganowsky, 1955)
- Zoarcidae: Taranetzella lyoderma (Andriashev, 1952)
- Cottidae: Radulinopsis taranetzi (Yabe & Maruyama, 2001)
References and bibliography
- Tokranov, A.M. (2011). "Outstanding Russian ichthyologists A.P. Andriashev and A.Y. Taranetz (for the 100th anniversary)" (PDF). Proceedings of ХI international scientific conferencey, November 24–25. Petropalovsk-Kamchtsky: Kamchatpress. ISBN 978-5-9610-0175-4.
- Demin and Novomodniy. "History of the Khabarovsk TINRO". HfTINRO. Retrieved January 22, 2013.
- "Bathyraja taranetzi (Dolganov, 1983)". Fishbase. Retrieved January 22, 2013.
- "Salvelinus taranetzi (Kaganowsky, 1955)". Fishbase. Retrieved January 22, 2013.
- "Taranetzella lyoderma (Andriyashev, 1952)". Fishbase. Retrieved January 22, 2013.
- "Radulinopsis taranetzi (Yabe & Maruyama, 2001)". Fishbase. Retrieved January 22, 2013.
- Andriashev A.P. (1937) A contribution to the knowledge of the fishes from the Bering and Chukchi Seas. Issled. Morei SSSR 25 (Issled. Dal'nevostoch Morei 5), Leningrad (Lanz L., Wilimovsky N.J. (transl.) 1955, US Fish Wildl Serv Spec Sci Rep Fish 145)