Ancestral Quest Basics v14.00.8 in Windows 8
|Original author(s)||Gaylon Findlay, Ben Buckwalter|
|Developer(s)||Incline Software, LC|
v16 Build 5 / 17 February 2020
|Operating system||Windows 2000 and later|
|Available in||15 languages|
|As of||May 2015|
Ancestral Quest is a genealogy software application for Microsoft Windows developed by Incline Software, LC. It features data entry with sourcing capabilities and scrapbook extensions; a print engine for standard or custom charts and reports; a web page creator; a collaboration engine; and an extension tool for other genealogy databases.
Developed in English, Ancestral Quest allows for translation to other languages using language modules. These user-created files allow Ancestral Quest screens and reports to be translated or customized. A user can create his or her own language module, or leverage the module of someone else. The Danish, French, German, Norwegian, and Spanish language modules are completely translated, and the Chinese, Finnish, and Swedish language modules currently have all basic screens and reports translated.
- Creates a family tree, documenting sources and adding scrapbook items
- Researches the Internet with search engine interfaces
- Prints standard and custom charts, reports or books
- Creates web pages
- Imports and exports GEDCOM files
- Extends the use of other databases, such as Personal Ancestral File or FamilySearch
- Can be used on a flash drive
- Collaborate with other researchers, using a single master database 
- Can convert Personal Ancestral File (PAF) files
- Ancestral Quest 1.0: 1994
- Ancestral Quest 1.1: 1995
- Ancestral Quest 2.0: 1996
- Ancestral Quest 2.1: 1997
- Ancestral Quest 3.0: 1999
- Ancestral Quest 10.0: 2002 - collaboration, research manager, global find/replace, PAF5.x support, fan charts, enhanced reporting
- Ancestral Quest 11.0: 2003 - memorize source citations, detailed change log, print to PDF, drop line charts, online IGI lookups
- Ancestral Quest 12.0: 2007 - individual summary screen, language translation, UNICODE
- Ancestral Quest 12.1: 2008 - link and sync with new FamilySearch, flash drive support
- Ancestral Quest 12.1: 2010 - Build 23 - Switched to FamilyTree API Version 2 for nFS, display age at marriage/death on family view, added ghost lines between children on family view, minor bug fixes
- Ancestral Quest 12.1: 2010 - Build 26 - Allows use of external viewer for photos, Improved Check/Repair, Assorted Bug Fixes
- Ancestral Quest 14.0: 2012 - Research Timeline, Color Coding, Tags, improvements to fan charts, FamilySearch Family Tree, LDS features
- Ancestral Quest 14.0: 2015 - Mac Version available 19 August 2015
- Ancestral Quest 15.0: 2016
- Ancestral Quest 16.0: 2019
AQ technology in other products
In 1998, AQ was licensed for resale through Individual Software, and has been sold by them under the names of "Family Ties", "Family Trees Quick & Easy", "Heritage Family Tree Deluxe", and "Family Tree Heritage". In 1999, the AQ code was licensed to the LDS Church and became the base of the Windows versions of Personal Ancestral File. Millions of copies of PAF have been distributed. In 2001, the AQ code was licensed to Ancestry.com, and became the base of Ancestry Family Tree. Nearly a million copies of AFT were distributed.
In 1998, Incline Software merged with The Hope Foundation. In 2001, this merger ended  and Incline Software again became the custodian of AQ.
- "Gaylon Findlay Biography". Logan Utah Family History Center. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- >"Ancestral Quest Language Modules". Incline Software, LC. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "Alexa Rating: ancquest.com". Alexa Internet, Inc. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "Current Certified Software Affiliates". FamilySearch. Archived from the original on 17 July 2011. Retrieved 18 December 2009.
- "Collaborate with NetFamTM". Ancestral Quest.
- "Version History". Ancestral Quest. Retrieved 18 Dec 2009.
- "New Features in Ancestral Quest 14". Incline Software, LC. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "Press Release". Incline Software, LD. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- "Genealogical Software Report Card". National Genealogical Society. Archived from the original on 2002-10-18. Retrieved 2009-12-21.
Family Ties - Program is a licensed version of Ancestral Quest 3
- "Family Trees Quick & Easy 5.0". PCMAG.COM. 17 September 2002.
Family Trees Quick & Easy licenses its software from Incline Software
- "Reviews from the NGS Newsmagazine and its Predecessors". National Genealogical Society. Archived from the original on 2009-02-12.
Heritage Family Tree Deluxe - Ancestral Quest 2002 under license to Individual Software
- Gaylon Findlay (29 September 2009). "Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter - Ancestral Quest Receives 2009 FamilySearch Software Awards". Dick Eastman. Archived from the original on 15 July 2009. Retrieved 21 December 2009.
"Family Tree Heritage", which is essentially Ancestral Quest 12.0 under a different name
"Genealogical Software Report Card". National Genealogical Society. Archived from the original on 2002-10-18. Retrieved 2009-12-21.
PAF - Based on early Ancestral Quest 3 code.
- "PAF Compatibility". Ancestral Quest.
- "FAQS - "Is there a relationship between PAF and Ancestral Quest?". Ancestral Quest.
"Reviews from the NGS Newsmagazine and its Predecessors". National Genealogical Society. Archived from the original on 2009-02-12.
Ancestry Family Tree - Modified version of Ancestral Quest 3
- "Incline Software Reclaims Ownership of Ancestral Quest". Genealogy Today. 10 May 2001.