Ancestry of George Washington
Coat of arms of the Washington family
|Current region||Virginia, United States|
|Place of origin||England|
|Members||John Washington, Augustine and Mary|
|Religion||Church of England / Episcopal|
President of the United States
The Washington immigrant ancestor and great-grandfather of President George Washington was John Washington, who was born in Tring, Hertfordshire, England, in 1631 and arrived in the Colony of Virginia in 1657 after being shipwrecked.
George Washington's immediate ancestry entirely traces back to England, save for at least two lines. A paternal great-great-great-grandfather, Nicolas Martiau, was a Huguenot from Île de Ré, France and naturalized Englishman, who arrived at Virginia aboard the Francis Bonaventure in 1620.
Furthermore, Washington's maternal great-grandmother, Mary Doodes, was baptized as "Maritje Meinerts" on December 14, 1645, at the Nieuwe Kerk of Amsterdam, Noord-Holland. In Virginia, she was referred to as "Mary Minor", the English equivalent of her Dutch first name and her patronym. Mary was the daughter of Maritje Gerrits and Meinert Doedes (Doodes), a sailor from Wieringen, who arrived in Nansemond County, Virginia, with his wife and children sometime before April 20, 1656. Meinert was naturalized by Acts of Assembly in 1673.
|Ancestors of George Washington|
- Moncreiffe of that Ilk, Sir Iain; Pottinger, Don (1953). Simple Heraldry. Edinburgh: Thomas Nelson & Sons. p. 32. ISBN 978-0171440140.
- Frank E. Grizzard (2002). George Washington: A Biographical Companion. ABC-CLIO. p. 5. ISBN 978-1-57607-082-6.
- Merrow Egerton Sorley, ed. (1935). Lewis of Warner Hall: The History of a Family, Including the Genealogy of Descendants in Both the Male and Female Lines, Biographical Sketches of Its Members, and Their Descent from Other Early Virginia Families. Genealogical Publishing Co. p. 31. ISBN 978-0-8063-0831-9.
- Edmund Jennings Lee (16 June 2008). Lee of Virginia, 1642-1892: Biographical and Genealogical Sketches of the Descendants of Colonel Richard Lee. Heritage Books. p. 545. ISBN 978-0-7884-2103-7. The Ball Family
- John W. Wayland (June 2009). The Washingtons and Their Homes. Genealogical Publishing Com. p. 332. ISBN 978-0-8063-4775-2.
- Earl Leon Werley Heck (1928). Colonel William Ball of Virginia: the great-grandfather of Washington. S. M. Dutton. pp. 20–.
- "Pope Ancestry". The William and Mary Quarterly. 24 (3): 194–198. January 1916. doi:10.2307/1915129. JSTOR 1915129.
- New England Historic Geneaological Society Nexus. 4–5. New England Historic Genealogical Society. 1987. p. 24. Augustine Warner (1611-1674) of Norwich, England, and Warner Hall & (13) Mary Towneley (1614-1662), originally of Stone Edge, Lancashire.
- Frances M. Smith (1909). Colonial Families of America. F. Allaben genealogical Company.
- From Jamestown to Texas: A History of Some Early Pioneers of Austin County the Colonial Capitol of Texas. iUniverse. October 2002. p. 384. ISBN 978-0-595-24223-8.