Ancestry of George Washington
Coat of arms of the Washington family
|Ethnicity||English, Dutch, French|
|Current region||Virginia, United States|
|Place of origin||United Kingdom|
|Members||John Washington, Augustine and Mary|
President of the United States
The Washington immigrant ancestor and great-grandfather of President George Washington was John Washington, who was born in Purleigh, Essex, England, United Kingdom, around 1631 and emigrated to the Colony of Virginia in 1656.
George Washington's immediate ancestry entirely traces back to England, other than a great-great-great-grandfather, Nicolas Martiau, a Huguenot from Île de Ré, France and naturalized Englishman, who arrived at Virginia aboard the Francis Bonaventure in 1620.
16. Lawrence Washington 
17. Amphyllis Twigden 
18. Nathaniel Pope 
19. Lucy (Luce) Fox 
20. Augustine Warner
21. Mary Towneley 
22. George Reade 
23. Elizabeth Martian (Martiau) 
24. William Ball
25. Dorothy Tuttle
26. Thomas Atherold 
27. Mary Harvey 
|Ancestors of George Washington|
|Paternal line of George Washington|
Washington's patriline is the line from which he is descended father to son.
|Maternal line of George Washington|
Washington's matrilineal line of descent is the line from mother to daughter.
- Moncreiffe of that Ilk, Sir Iain; Pottinger, Don (1953). Simple Heraldry. Edinburgh: Thomas Nelson & Sons. p. 32. ISBN 0171440145.
- George Washington: a biographical companion.
- Lewis of Warner Hall: the history of a family
- Lee of Virginia, 1642-1892: Biographical and Genealogical Sketches The Ball Family
- The Washingtons and their homes
- Colonel William Ball of Virginia: The Great-Grandfather of Washington by Earl L. W. Heck
- Pope Ancestry
- Augustine Warner (1611-1674) of Norwich, England, and Warner Hall & (13) Mary Towneley (1614-1662), originally of Stone Edge, Lancashire.
- Colonial families of America.
- From Jamestown to Texas: A History of Some Early Pioneers of Austin County