This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Panchayath Bus Stand in Anchal Market Junction
|• Total||24.45 km2 (9.44 sq mi)|
|Elevation||45 m (148 ft)|
|• Official||Malayalam Other Languages: English, Tamil, Hindi|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
There are a number of different legends about the origin of the name Anchal. One legend is that there used to be an "Anchalappis" at the site of the present range office junction, from which the name "Anchal" originates. Another legend is how five disputes evolved in the region, leading to the name of the land of five disputes, proverbs or puzzles. A third legend is that the five Banyan trees or "Aal" in the region, are the origin the name Anchal, a portmanteau of Anch meaning five and Aal meaning Banyan tree.
The nearest railway stations are the Punalur Railway Station and the Kollam Junction Railway Station, located respectively 14 km and 39 km away. Kollam Junction is the second largest railway station in Kerala by area and is also one of the oldest. Punalur Railway Station is about 11 km from Anchal and currently connects to Kollam, Thiruvananthapuram, Kottayam, Ernakulam, Thrissur, Palakkad, Nagarcoil, Kanyakumari, Tirunelveli and Madurai. The nearest International Airport is Trivandrum International Airport, located 55 km from Anchal in the city of Thiruvananthapuram. It is the main international airport in the state of Kerala and offers both national and international flights. Anchal is located between the National Highway 744 and the Main Central Road and is accessible by car. Multiple bus services also run between Anchal and other villages in Kollam district.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2020)
In the 2011 Census of India, Anchal had a population of 33,098 of which 15,732 are male and 17,356 are female. The literacy rate is 95%, with 96.7% of males literate and 93.49% of females literate. The total employed population is 11,960. 71% of the population that are employed are male and 29% are female.[needs update]
- B. Kemal Pasha - a retired judge of the high court of Kerala
- Rajiv Anchal - a film director, screenwriter, and sculptor who works in Malayalam language cinema.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anchal.|
- "Anchal Population - Kollam, Kerala". Census2011.co.in. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- Panchayat List Archived 20 August 2013 at the Wayback Machine. Kollam.nic.in. Retrieved on 2014-07-11.
- അഞ്ചല് ഗ്രാമപഞ്ചായത്ത് (Anchal Grama Panchayat) » ചരിത്രം. Lsgkerala.in
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 25 February 2015. Retrieved 25 February 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 13 May 2016. Retrieved 25 May 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Website High Court of Kerala