The Anchor Bar in 2007
|Head chef||Ivano Toscani|
|Street address||1047 Main St.|
|Other information||Phone: (716) 884-4083|
The Anchor Bar is a bar and restaurant in Buffalo, New York, located north of Downtown Buffalo at the intersection of Main and North Streets. The restaurant was initially established in 1935. The bar is most famous for being the birthplace of spicy chicken wings known outside the Buffalo area as Buffalo wings.
The bar's association with Buffalo wings originates in the 1960s. Then-owner Teressa Bellissimo is credited with the creation of the dish when she deep-fried some wings and covered them in Frank's RedHot hot sauce and butter. Chicken wings were previously used for soup or thrown away. She served them with blue cheese dip as hors d'oeuvres at the bar. They were initially offered for free. Anchor Bar sauces are sold in the United States at Tops Friendly Markets, and in Canada at Sobey's and Metro stores.
In 2007, Iron Chef and Food Network personality Bobby Flay appeared at the Anchor Bar for a Buffalo wing "throwdown" with the self-proclaimed "Wing King", Drew Cerza. On the August 8, 2008 episode of Primal Grill with Steven Raichlen on PBS, Raichlen said that "the Buffalo wing was born at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York in 1964."
In 2013, a quick service version of The Anchor Bar opened at the Darien Lake amusement park about half an hour away from Buffalo. This location has a limited menu compared to the original, but still offers the original wing sauce both on wings and sold in bottles along with other menu choices.
On May 17, 2018, Anchor Bar opened in New York City. 
- Epting, Chris. James Dean Died Here. p. 18. ISBN 1-891661-31-0.
- An Attempt to Compile a Short History of the Buffalo Chicken WingThe New Yorker, accessed December 27, 2009
- "Anchor Bar to open location at Darien Lake". Archived from the original on 2013-05-01. Retrieved 2015-09-22.
- "Anchor Bar Opens on Transit Road". The Buffalo News. October 1, 2014. Retrieved October 2, 2014.
- Fink, James (30 April 2015). "'A lot at stake' for Anchor Bar's Vegas location – Buffalo – Buffalo Business First". Buffalo Business First. Retrieved 2015-05-01.
- "Popular American Wing Resto Officially Open in Mississauga". Retrieved 2018-06-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anchor Bar.|