Ancient Near Eastern Texts Relating to the Old Testament
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ancient Near Eastern Texts Relating to the Old Testament edited by James B. Pritchard (1st ed. 1950, 2nd ed.1955, 3rd ed. 1969} is an anthology of important historical, legal, mythological, liturgical, and secular texts from the ancient Near East. William W. Hallo, writing in the Journal of the American Oriental Society in 1970, described it as "a modern classic ever since its first appearance in 1950", because "for the first time it assembled some of the most significant Ancient Near Eastern texts in authoritative, generously annotated English translations based on the accumulated insight of several generations of scholarship scattered". It is conventional to cite the work as ANET. ANEP refers to a companion volume Ancient Near Eastern Pictures Relating to the Old Testament (1st ed. 1954, 2nd ed. 1969), featuring 882 black and white designs and photos. An additional volume of supplementary texts and pictures was published in 1969 as "The Ancient Near East: Supplementary Texts and Pictures Relating to the Old Testament". An abridgement of ANET and ANEP was published in a single volume in 1958 as "The Ancient Near East, Volume I: An Anthology of Texts and Pictures" with a 2nd edition published in 1965. A second anthology of supplementary material was published in 1975 as "Ancient Near East, Volume 2: A New Anthology of Texts and Pictures".
- The Memphite Theology of Creation
- The Deliverance of Mankind of Destruction
- The Story of Sinahue
- The Story of Two Brothers
- The Journey of Wen-Amon to Phoenicia
- The Tradition of Seven Lean Years in Egypt
- The Telepinus Myth
- The Expulsion of the Hyksos
- Asiatic Campaign of Thut-mose III
- The Campaign of Seti I in North Palestine
- The Report of a Frontier Official
- A Syrian Interregnum
- The War Against the Peoples of the Sea
- The Meggido Ivories
- The Campaign of Sheshonk
- Assyrian & Babylonian
- Ashurnasirpal II (883-859): Expedition to Lebanon
- Adad-nirari III (810-783): The Fight against the Aramaean Coalition
- Tiglath-pileser III (744-727): The Campaigns Against Syria and Palestine
- Sargon II (721-705): The Fall of Samaria
- Sennacherib (704-681): The Siege of Jerusalem
- Esarhaddon (680-669): The Syro-Palestinian Campaign
- Receipt of Tribute from Palestine
- Rituals, Incantations and Descriptions of Festivals: Egyptian (John A. Wilson); Akkadian (A. Sachs); Hittite (Albrecht Goetze)
- Hymns and Prayers: Egyptian (John A. Wilson); Sumerian (S. N. Kramer); Sumero-Akkadian (Ferris J. Stephens); Hittite (Albrecht Goetze)
- Didactic and Wisdom Literature: Fables and Didactic Tales; Proverbs and Precepts; Observations on Life and the World Order; Oracles and Prophecies
- Lamentations: A Sumerian Lamentation (S. N. Kramer)
- Secular Songs and Poems: Egyptian (John A. Wilson)
- Letters: Egyptian (John A. Wilson); Sumerian (S. N. Kramer); Akkadian (W. F. Albright); Aramaic (H. L. Ginsberg)
- Miscellaneous Texts: Egyptian (John A. Wilson); Sumerian Love Song (S. N. Kramer); Hittite Omen (Albrecht Goetze); Canaanite and Aramaic Inscriptions (Franz Rosenthal); South-Arabian Inscriptions (A. Jamme)
Translators and annotators
- W. F. Albright, Johns Hopkins University
- H. L. Ginsberg, Jewish Theological Seminary
- Albrecht Goetze, Yale University
- A. Jamme, Society of White Fathers of Africa
- S. N. Kramer, University of Pennsylvania
- Theophile J. Meek, University of Toronto
- A. Leo Oppenheim, University of Chicago
- Robert H. Pfeiffer, Harvard University
- Franz Rosenthal, University of Pennsylvania
- A. Sachs, Brown University
- E. A. Speiser, University of Pennsylvania
- Ferris J. Stephens, Yale University
- John A. Wilson, University of Chicago
- Ancient Near Eastern texts relating to the Old Testament. Edited by James B. Pritchard. Third edition with supplement. Princeton University Press. 1969. ISBN 978-0-691-03503-1.
- Hallo, William W. (1970). "Review: The Ancient Near East Supplementary Texts and Pictures Relating to the Old Testament Consisting of Supplementary Materials for The Ancient Near East In Pictures and Ancient Near Eastern Texts by James B. Pritchard". Journal of the American Oriental Society. p. 525. JSTOR 598825. doi:10.2307/598825.
- As explained by Cyrus H. Gordon in his review of this book in "Review: Ancient Near Eastern Texts". American Journal of Archaeology. January 1952. p. 93. JSTOR 500849. doi:10.2307/500849.
- Pritchard, James Bennett (1969). The Ancient Near East in Pictures Relating to the Old Testament: With Supplement. Princeton U.P.
- Stanisław Bazyliński (1 January 2006). A Guide to Biblical Research: Introductory Notes. Gregorian Biblical BookShop. p. 61. ISBN 978-88-7653-630-4.
- "The Ancient Near East Volume II, A New Anthology of Texts and Pictures", p. v, Ed. James B. Pritchard, Princeton University Press, 1975, ISBN 0-691-00209-6
- Pritchard, James B. (1973) . The Ancient Near East, Volume I. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press. ISBN 0691035016.