Ancillae Assumpta Academy
|2025 Church Road
Wyncote, Pennsylvania, (Montgomery County) 19095
|Motto||"Educating With Love and For Love"|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Principal||Sr. Maureen Gillespie|
|Grades||Pre-K to 8th|
|Campus size||10 acres|
Ancillae-Assumpta Academy is a private, Catholic, co-educational school for students in Pre-school through grade 8 in Wyncote, Pennsylvania. It is sponsored by the Handmaids of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Ancillae's sports program competes in the Catholic Academy League (C.A.L).
In 1946 the Handmaids of the Sacred Heart began kindergarten classes at Church Road in Wyncote, Pennsylvania. The following year they opened a private elementary school for girls named Ancillae Academy, from the Latin word for handmaid. In 1957, the Handmaids started Assumpta Academy, a boys' school named after Mother Assumption Escauriaza, a founding sister. In 1969, the two merged to become Ancillae-Assumpta Academy. The school is located on the former estate of George Horace Lorimer, longtime editor of the Saturday Evening Post.
Ancillae-Assumpta is accredited by the Commission on Elementary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools since 1981. The current accreditation is for a period of seven years from December 2012 until December 2019. This is the fourth reaccreditation for the school. The previous reaccreditations were in 1990 and 2001.
Recognitions and awards
- Department of Education "Drug Free School" - 1989
Students from Ancillae-Assumpta were among those awarded scholarships to LaSalle College High School.
Ancillae-Assumpta Academy won first place in the Creative Video Contest sponsored by the World Meeting of Families Congress held in Philadelphia in September 2015. Initiated by Pope John Paul II in 1994, the Congress is held every three years in a different location. Pope Francis is scheduled to attend.
The 2015 Ancillae-Assumpta JV Football team won the Catholic Academy League championship, with a perfect 8-0 season.
- Morrison, John F., "Sister Assumption Escauriaza, 98, founded Assumpta Academy", Daily News (Philadelphia), October 2, 2012
- "Full History of AAA" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on November 10, 2013. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "List of Schools". Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "Strategic Planning". Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "Ancillae-Assumpta Academy names Lintner new director", CatholicPhilly.com, October 29, 2013
- "List of Blue Ribbon Schools 1982-2003" (PDF). Retrieved 12 November 2013.
- "List of Blue Ribbon Schools 2003-2011" (PDF). Retrieved 12 November 2013.
- "Reception Held For Scholarship Recipients From The Class of 2019", LaSalle College High School, January 26, 2015
- "Contest Winners Announcement", WMOF
- Official website
- PSS, U.S. Dept. of Education
- "Ancillae-Assumpta Academy honored as a 2010 National Blue Ribbon School", Montgomery Media, December 4, 2010