And I Love You So (song)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
"And I Love You So" is a popular song written by folk singer and guitarist Don McLean and released on his 1970 debut album, Tapestry. Its chorus features an unusual rhyming scheme for a popular song: A-B-B-A versus the usual A-B-C (or A)-B.
Perry Como recording
"And I Love You So" was a 1973 hit for singer Perry Como on his RCA Victor album of the same name, And I Love You So, reaching No. 29 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It would be the last of his many popular recordings, dating back to 1943, to reach the Top 40. It also spent one week at No. 1 on the easy listening chart. It reached No. 2 in South Africa and in Britain, the record reached No. 3 on the UK Singles Chart on RCA Records and remained on the chart for 35 weeks (the longest of his hits in the UK).
Como also recorded a Spanish version, titled Y te quiero así.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The song has been recorded by many other artists in the years since McLean's original version:
- The song was recorded by Elvis Presley at RCA studio C in Hollywood, California, on March 11, 1975. It was released on his album Today, and Presley used it in almost every live show until his death.
- Harry Connick Jr. included the song on his 2009 album Your Songs.
- Sergio Franchi covered this song on his 1976 DynaHouse album 20 Magnificent Songs.
- A Filipino film starring Bea Alonzo, Sam Milby, and Derek Ramsay with the same name used the song on its official soundtrack.
- In 1999, Glen Campbell recorded the song on his album My Hits and Love Songs.
- Roch Voisine covered the song on his album Americana, in 2008.
- Claude François performed a French version, "Et je t'aime tellement", in 1977.
Other performers who have recorded the song include: Rick Astley, Shirley Bassey, Bobby Goldsboro, Tom T. Hall, Emmylou Harris, Engelbert Humperdinck, Howard Keel, Johnny Mathis, Nana Mouskouri, Olivia Newton-John, Jim Nabors, Helen Reddy, Perry Como, and Bobby Vinton.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 62.
- "SA Charts 1965 - 1989 - Songs A-B". rock.co.za. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 117. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Perry Como - Te Quiero Asi (1974, Vinyl) | Discogs" https://www.discogs.com/es/Perry-Como-Te-Quiero-Asi/release/8800842
- "PEP REVIEW: And I Love You So | PEP.ph: The Number One Site for Philippine Showbiz". PEP.ph. 2009-08-20. Archived from the original on 2009-09-10. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- [dead link]