And Now a Word from Our Sponsor
|And Now a Word From Our Sponsor|
|Directed by||Zack Bernbaum|
|Produced by||Michael Hamilton-Wright|
|Written by||Michael Hamilton-Wright|
|Music by||Erica Procunier|
|Cinematography||Stephen C. Whitehead|
|Edited by||James Vandewater|
And Now a Word From Our Sponsor is a 2013 Canadian comedy-drama film directed by Zack Bernbaum. It stars Bruce Greenwood, Parker Posey, Allie MacDonald, Rhys Ward. Greenwood plays a burnt-out ad man who can only speak in product catch phrases.
Advertising executive Adan Kundle wakes up in a hospital, able to speak only in product slogans. When Adan requires a place to stay, a volunteer at the hospital, Karen Hillridge, offers to let him stay at her house, much to her daughter Meghan's dismay. As Adan helps Karen and Meghan resolve their differences, rival executive Lucas Foster attempts to oust Adan from the advertising firm.
Rotten Tomatoes, a review aggregator, reports that 11% of nine surveyed critics gave the film a positive review; the average rating is 4.6/10. Metacritic rated it 33/100 based on 10 reviews. Peter Debruge of Variety called it a "well-cast but seldom funny satire" that misses an opportunity at social commentary. Frank Scheck of The Hollywood Reporter wrote, "Despite appealing performances, this comedy suffers from its derivative premise." Stephen Holden of The New York Times called it "a feeble, lazy descendant of Being There". Gary Goldstein of The Los Angeles Times described it as "a thoroughly engaging lark" that is saved by the cast. Mike D'Angelo of The A.V. Club gave it a letter grade of "C" and wrote, "[Greenwood] can't rescue the movie all by himself, but he does at least transform it into a first-rate acting class."
- Chang, Richard (2013-03-29). "Newport film fest ready to roll". Orange County Register. Retrieved 2016-04-23.
- Matheson, Whitney (2013-05-02). "Coming soon: 'And Now a Word from Our Sponsor'". USA Today.
- "And Now A Word From Our Sponsor (2013)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2016-04-23.
- "And Now a Word from Our Sponsor". Metacritic. Retrieved 2016-04-23.
- Deburge, Peter (2013-05-06). "Film Review: 'And Now a Word From Our Sponsor'". Variety. Retrieved 2016-04-23.
- Scheck, Frank (2013-04-29). "And Now a Word from Our Sponsor: Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2016-04-23.
- Holden, Stephen (2013-05-09). "A Mad Man Someone Should Hire". The New York Times. Retrieved 2016-04-23.
- Goldstein, Gary (2013-05-09). "Review: 'And Now a Word From Our Sponsor' is engaging". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2016-04-23.
- Bernbaum, Zack (2013-05-09). "And Now A Word From Our Sponsor". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 2016-04-23.