And She Was
|"And She Was"|
|Single by Talking Heads|
|from the album Little Creatures|
|Genre||Rock, new wave|
|Talking Heads singles chronology|
"I used to know a blissed-out hippie-chick in Baltimore," recalled Byrne in the liner notes of Once in a Lifetime: The Best of Talking Heads. "She once told me that she used to do acid (the drug, not music) and lay down on the field by the Yoo-hoo chocolate soda factory. Flying out of her body, etc etc. It seemed like such a tacky kind of transcendence… but it was real! A new kind of religion being born out of heaps of rusted cars and fast food joints. And this girl was flying above it all, but in it too."
Drummer Chris Frantz said of the song, "It’s a story about a woman who has the power to levitate above the ground and to check out all her neighbors from a kind of bird’s eye view. And the guy who’s writing the song is in love with her and he kinda wishes she would just be more normal and, like, come on back down to the ground [Laughs], but she doesn’t. She goes floating over the backyard and past the buildings and the schools and stuff and is absolutely superior to him in every way."
The song is musically notable for its unusual use of modulation, The overall key of the song is E major, however the bridge to the chorus is in F major. The second bridge back to the verse is in the key of G major (Chords B min to G maj, "She was glad about it...")
It reached number 54 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and number 17 on the British singles chart. The accompanying music video was directed by avant-garde filmmaker Jim Blashfield, who cites the style of Terry Gilliam as one of his major influences.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||10|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100 ||54|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||33|
|UK Singles Chart||17|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||16|
|Dutch Singles Chart||31|
|Irish Singles Chart||9|
- "The Daily Cut: Talking Heads "And She Was"". 98.5 WNCX. CBS. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- Bryan Thomas (June 29, 2015). "Jim Blashfield's 'Suspicious Circumstances': 'Salvador Dalí and Betty Crocker' collage animation geniusness". Nightflight. Retrieved June 11, 2016.
- Barry Johnson (October 24, 2012). "Jim Blashfield: And He Was". Oregon Artswatch. Retrieved June 11, 2016.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- | Billboard Magazine
- The Official Charts Company. "UK Albums Chart". Every Hit. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- Recording Industry Association of New Zealand (February 6, 1986). "New Zealand Singles Chart". New Zealand Charts. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- MegaCharts (February 8, 1986). "Dutch Singles Chart". Dutch Charts. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- Irish Recording Music Association (January 30, 1986). "Irish Singles Chart". Irish Charts. Archived from the original on 2 June 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-17.