Per Anders Hillborg (born 31 May 1954) is one of Sweden’s leading composers.
Anders Hillborg was born in Sollentuna, and studied composition, counterpoint and electronic music at the Kungliga Musikhögskolan in Stockholm from 1976 to 1982. His teachers were Gunnar Bucht, Lars-Erik Rosell, Arne Mellnäs and Pär Lindgren. An important source of inspiration was Brian Ferneyhough who was a visiting professor at the time.
Apart from some minor teaching positions, professor in composition at Musikhögskolan i Malmö 1990 and masterclasses, Hillborg has been a freelance composer since 1982. His output is vast and covers genres as orchestral, choir, chamber works as well as film and popular music. An example of his work in the popular realm is his collaboration with Eva Dahlgren, which resulted in the album Jag vill se min älskade komma från det vilda (1995). The project was first presented at the Helsinki Festival with the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen.
His collaboration with Salonen has resulted in numerous works, among others Dreaming River (premiered by the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra in 1999), Eleven Gates (2005–06) premiered and commissioned by the Los Angeles Philharmonic. and most recently the large-scale work Sirens jointly commissioned by the LA Phil and Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
Other important recent works Cold Heat (2010) which was co-commissioned by the Berlin Philharmonic, the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra and Tonhalle Orchestra, Zürich Tonhalleorkestern. The piece premiered in 2011 at Berliner Philharmonie under David Zinman.
- Christ Johnson Prize 1991 and 1997
- International Rostrum of Composers 1992
- Clang and Fury (1985–1989)
- Cold Heat (2010)
- Dreaming River (1999)
- Eleven Gates (2005–2006)
- Exquisite Corpse (2002, 2005)
- Flood Dreams (2009)
- Himmelsmekanik (1983–1985)
- King Tide (1999)
- Liquid Marble (1995)
- Beast Sampler (2014)
- Sirens for two sopranos, mixed choir and orchestra (2011)
- Violin Concerto No. 1 (1991–1992)
- Trombone Concerto (1993)
- Clarinet Concerto Peacock Tales (1999, 2002)
- Piano Concerto (2000)
- Concerto for 2 Trombones and Orchestra (2004)
- Percussion Concerto (2007)
- Flute Concerto (2009)
- Méditations sur Pétrarque for oboe and orchestra (2009)
- Violin Concerto No. 2 (2016)
- Cello Concerto (2020)
- Viola Concerto (2021)
- Chamber music
- Musik för 10 altvioliner (Music for 10 Violas) (1987, 1993)
- Hautposaune for trombone and tape (1990)
- Tampere Raw for clarinet and piano (1991)
- Heisenbergminiatyrer for string quartet (2006–2007)
- Mouyayoum for mixed chorus (1983–1985)
- ^ Sveriges befolkning 1980, CD-ROM, Sveriges Släktforskarförbund 2004
- ^ "Eleven Gates (world premiere; LAPA commission)". wayback.archive-it.org.
- ^ Philharmoniker, Berliner. "Concert calendar | Berliner Philharmoniker". www.berliner-philharmoniker.de.
- ^ Stark PhD, p. 38
- 1954 births
- 20th-century classical composers
- 21st-century classical composers
- Living people
- Swedish classical composers
- Swedish male classical composers
- International Rostrum of Composers prize-winners
- 20th-century Swedish male musicians
- 20th-century Swedish musicians
- 21st-century Swedish male musicians
- Musikförläggarnas pris winners