Anderson High School, Lerwick
|Anderson High School|
|Motto||Dö weel and persevere|
|Age||11 to 18|
The AHS is the largest school in Shetland with around 80 staff and about 700-800 pupils from age 11 to 18.
Pupils transfer to the AHS from other schools. Pupils also transfer from Junior High Schools after S4 (age 16), leading to more pupils in S5 than in S4.
In 2005, the school was awarded Schools of Ambition status.
The school was founded by Arthur Anderson and officially opened in 1861. The school has had two different names;
- AEI Anderson Educational Institute
- AHS Anderson High School
- Shetland Islands Annual Return (September 2010) http://www.shetland.gov.uk/education/AnnualReturn.asp
- Irvine, James W. (1985). Lerwick; The Birth and Growth of an Island Town. Lerwick: Lerwick Community Council. p. 126. ISBN 0-9509669-1-6.
- Anderson High School Website
- School Handbook 2009-2010
- AHS Entry at Scottish Schools Online
- Shetland Islands Council Education
|This article related to Shetland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|