Anderson Mōri & Tomotsune
|No. of offices||4|
|No. of attorneys||329|
|Major practice areas||General practice|
|Company type||Partnership under Japanese law|
|Website||Anderson Mōri & Tomotsune|
The firm was founded in 1952 as O'Gorman, Nattier & Anderson after its three initial partners who were all American attorneys. The firm merged with Shenoh & Mōri in 1961 to form Anderson, Nattier, Mōri & Rabinowitz, which was renamed to Anderson Mōri & Rabinowitz in 1963. The firm changed its name to Anderson & Mōri in 1991 following the departure of partner Richard Rabinowitz, who joined several other Anderson Mori attorneys to form the firm of Tōzai Sōgō in 1994. The firm adopted its present name after merging with Tomotsune & Kimura in 2005; Tomotsune & Kimura was itself an offshoot of the law firm founded by Toshiro Nishimura in 1967, which would eventually become Nishimura & Asahi.
Following the collapse of Bingham McCutchen in 2014, 50 of the 60 lawyers at Bingham's Tokyo office joined Anderson Mori in 2015, with the remainder joining the Tokyo office of Morgan, Lewis & Bockius.
Anderson operates as a two-tiered partnership, under which associates become non-equity "junior partners" in their 10th to 12th year of practice, but only become equity-holding senior partners at a later stage (if ever).
Anderson Mori's main office is in Akasaka K-Tower, Akasaka, Minato City, Tokyo. The firm moved to its current location in July 2013. It was previously based in the Izumi Garden Tower in Roppongi.
Its first overseas office was in Beijing, opened in 1998. In 2013, the firm opened two new overseas offices in Shanghai and Singapore, as well as its first domestic branch office in Nagoya. The firm's Asian offices focus on supporting Japanese clients abroad.
- Kunio Hamada, former Supreme Court justice, founding partner of one of the forerunner firms of Mori Hamada & Matsumoto
- Katsuhito Yokokume, member of the House of Representatives, worked as an Anderson Mori associate from 2007 to 2008
- Verghese, Kanishk (16 April 2015). "Anderson Mori swoops in for 50 Bingham lawyers in Tokyo". Asian Legal Business. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- "弁護士業界の最強集団"ブル弁"の生態とは？". Toyo Keizai. 24 July 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-05-29. Retrieved 2014-05-28.
- "東京オフィス移転のお知らせ：アンダーソン・毛利・友常法律事務所". www.amt-law.com (in Japanese). Retrieved 2017-04-13.
- "アンダーソン・毛利法律事務所と友常木村法律事務所は合併しアンダーソン・毛利・友常法律事務所となりました。(2005.1.4)：アンダーソン・毛利・友常法律事務所". www.amt-law.com (in Japanese). Retrieved 2017-04-13.
- Verghese, Kanishk (1 September 2015). "'We look to enter any new market like a local law firm'". Asian Legal Business. Retrieved 28 September 2015.