Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2008)|
|Public Sector Corporation under the Ministry of Transport of the State Government's of Andhra Pradesh|
|Founded||11 January 1958|
|Andhra Pradesh,Telangana, Orissa, Tamilnadu, Karnataka|
|Sidda Raghava Rao, Chairman
N. Sambasiva Rao (I.P.S) , Vice-Chairman and managing director
|Products||Bus transport, Services|
|Revenue||₹51 billion (US$770 million)|
|Profit||₹1.18 billion (US$18 million)|
Number of employees
Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (or APSRTC) is the state-owned road transport corporation in the southern Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is the Second largest bus corporation in the India and operates buses along intra and inter city bus routes in Southern India.
APSRTC was established in 11 January 1958
Andhra Pradesh separated from Tamil Nadu in 1953. Later by the States Reorganisation Act Andhra Pradesh formed with merger of Hyderabad State.
The Corporation's buses cover 79.83 lakhs KMs. and carry 156.78 lakhs people to their destinations every day. They connect 23,388/5010 villages to all major towns and cities in A.P which constitutes 95% of Road Transport. APSRTC operates to City and Mofussil areas. The Corporation's buses also ply to important towns and cities in the neighboring States of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Goa, Odisha and Chhattisgarh.
The entire network is under the administrative control of 12 Regional Managers in 4 Zones. Zonal Headquarters are at Vijayawada. APSRTC under the present name was established on 11 January 1958 in pursuance of the Road Transport Corporations Act 1950.
Tickets can be bought online at http://www.apsrtconline.in
A system to reserve ticket on telephone and home delivery was introduced in 1995. This facility is available in twenty-five towns and cities.
APSRTC issues bus passes to students and the physically challenged. It also issues passes to general commuters which allow them to perform unrestricted travel within the city where the pass is taken. The pass can be taken for a day or a month and the cost varies accordingly. It also issues special passes to NGOs, youth attending interviews, freedom fighters and children of employees. Eligibility criteria are provided at: http://apsrtc.gov.in/Bus%20Pass%20Eligibility.pdf.
APSRTC supplies buses to the private parties on hire basis for the purpose of pilgrimage, marriages, leisure travel, meetings, excursions etc.
The parties who desire to hire a bus may place printed requisition with the Depot Manager with details like from, to places, timings, date. On receipt of requisition, the Depot Manager will calculate the estimated amount for the distance and collects the same from the hirer in advance. After completion of special hire contract, the balance amount refundable will be paid to the hirer within three days.
Awards and achievements
- It entered Guinness Book of World Records on 31 October 1999, with 22,000 buses making it the largest bus fleet in the world.
- Highest KMPL fuel efficiency for the year 2011-12 - Mofussit services and Vijayawada (urban division).
- Best Road Safety record for the year 2012-13.
Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation has a number of firsts to its credit in India.
- First to nationalize passenger Road Transport Services in the country-1932.
- First to introduce long distance night express services.
- First to introduce A/C Sleeper, Hi-tech, Metro Liner, Inter-City Services and Metro Express.
- First to introduce Depot computerisation-1986.
- First to appoint Safety Commissioner for improving the safety of the passengers.
- All the 211 Depots in the State are computerized.
- Reservation of tickets on telephone and door delivery of tickets.
- "APSRTC Equals Indian Railways in Ferrying Passengers". Outlookindia.com. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- "Profile". Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- "RTC heads for split amid fears, anxiety". The Hindu (Vijayawada). 1 December 2014. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- "Largest Fleet of Buses". worldrecordholdersclub. 1 December 2012.
- "APSRTC awards and achievements" (PDF). Andhra_Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation. 7 July 2014. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
|Type||Number of Buses|