Motto in English
|May the Divine Light Illuminate Our Studies|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. G.S.N. Raju|
|Location||Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India
Andhra University or Andhra Viswa Kala Parishath (Telugu: ఆంధ్ర యూనివర్శిటి / ఆంధ్ర విశ్వకళాపరిషత్) is one of the oldest and premier universities in India.It is located in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. It was established in 1926 and shared affiliating responsibilities with Madras University in the initial years.Located in a sprawling campus of 422 acres, Andhra University has a 89-year-old legacy in imparting quality education and contributing to society.
It is highly rated by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with " A " rating and with an excellent score of 3.65/4. It has been consistently ranked among top universities in India by various reputed surveys and rankings.In Nielsen survey 2015, Andhra University has been ranked second best among state universities and eighth among all universities in the country.It has also been internationally ranked 151 by the QS World Universities Rankings in 2015.Presently it is among the top universities in India for Engineering, Science, Economics, Arts and Law.
The University designed and implemented Quality Management System successfully and became the first General university in the country to get ISO 9001: 2000 Certification in 2006.
Andhra University was established in 1926 by the Madras University Act to serve the entire linguistic region of Andhra as a residential teaching- cum-affiliating University.The Telugu speaking people are emotionally attached to the University as it was the result of a prolonged struggle of Telugu elite. Andhra University is not just one of the oldest educational institutions in the country but also the first to be conceived as a residential multi-disciplinary University. The 88-year-old institution is fortunate to have Sir C.R. Reddy as its founder Vice chancellor and Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan as the second Vice-Chancellor. The foundations laid by these two visionaries proved to be fruitful in the succeeding decades. The university emblem was designed by shri kowta Rammohan sastri with guidance of Sir C. R. Reddy and it was acclaimed as the best emblem in those days.
The leaders of the university always believed that excellence in higher education is the best investment for the country and engaged the services of famous educationists such as Dr. T.R. Seshadri, Dr. S. Bhagavantham, Professor Hiren Mukherjee, Professor Humayan Kabir and Dr. V.K.R.V. Rao, to mention a few who set high standards for teaching and research. Nobel Lariat C V Raman was the proud alumnus of the University and closely associated in laying research foundations in Physics. Padmavibhushan Prof. C R Rao, the renowned statistician of the world, was also the proud alumnus of the University.kk
The University is a sprawling campus of 422 acres dotted with 121 buildings for academic, administrative, and support services, with a plinth area of about 20 lakhs sq.ft., and 324 staff quarters. Presently the University serves the educational needs of five districts of Andhra Pradesh, namely Visakhapatnam, East Godavari, West Godavari, Vizinagaram and Srikakulam. Located on the uplands of Visakhapatnam, 'The City of Destiny', the University campus is scenic, with the Bay of Bengal on one side of it and on the other, the green Kailasagiri hill range.
The university contains two sections, the south campus and north campus. The south campus houses the Arts, Humanities and Sciences departments along with the administrative block. The north campus (established in 1962), comprises the engineering College.
The university has four constituent colleges. The college of arts and commerce is the biggest constituent college in the university with 28 departments offering 55 courses. The college of science and technology has 19 departments, which offers 44 courses. The college of engineering has 16 departments involving in undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. The college of law has been identified as an advanced center in law by University Grants Commission.
The university has a school of distance education (started 1972). The school has 32 study centers across the state and a study center at New Delhi.
The university campus has 19 hostels for men and 4 hostels exclusively for women that accommodate more than 4,300 students. Residential accommodation of 340 units of staff quarters is available on the university campus. The university also has three Health Centres, a homeopathy dispensary, three guest houses, a faculty club, an open-air theatre and a campus school for the children of university school.
- Andhra University College of Arts and Commerce (Estd. 1931)
- Andhra University College of Engineering (Estd. 1955)
- Andhra University College of Engineering for Women (Estd. 2010)
- Andhra University College of Law (Estd. 1945)
- Andhra University College of Pharmaceutical Sciences (Estd. 1951)
- Andhra University College of Science and Technology (Estd. 1931)
- Andhra University School of Distance Education (Estd. 1972)
The College of Engineering is one of the highly reputed colleges in India and offers 80 courses in 15 departments. The courses like Chemical Engineering, Computer Science, Electronics & Communications, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Remote Sensing, Marine Engineering, Naval Architecture, Nanotechnology, Artificial Intelligence, Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering have made a mark for themselves.
The College of Law is one of the best in the country offering LL.B. 3 years, LL.B. 5 years, LL.M. and Ph.D. Programmes. Most of the Judges in Andhra Pradesh Courts, a significant representation in the judiciary of High Courts and Supreme Court are the proud alumni of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar College of Law. The Department of Pharmacy is also well known for its teaching and research and many of its alumni are occupying key positions in Industry, Teaching and Research Institutes.
Andhra University is a multi-disciplinary University offering varied courses in emerging areas that bear a direct relationship to economic growth and development of the society. Andhra University has distinguished itself by starting many courses which are innovative and first of their kind in India. The University is strong in basic sciences like Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, Geology and Geography. The University is equally competent in applied sciences like Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Human Genetics, Environmental Sciences, Geophysics, Geo-Engineering, Remote Sensing, Nuclear Physics, Meteorology, Oceanography, Nuclear Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry and Bioinorganic Chemistry.
The institution is unique in offering courses like Plant Cytogenetics, Parasitology, Marine Fisheries, Entomology, Hydrology, Human Genetics, Ionosphere Studies, Petroleum Exploration Studies, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nanoscience, Foods and drugs and water.
The University further is a pioneer in designing and offering courses in Business Management, Quantitative Economics, Criminal Justice, Meteorology & Oceanography, Nuclear Physics, Nuclear Chemistry, Parapsychology, Genetics, Gemology, GeoEngineering, Petroleum Exploration, Marine Engineering, Naval Architecture, Retail Management, Statistics and Computer Science,BIO-MEDICAL ENGINEERING FROM 2003.
Distinctions and Rankings
Andhra University in its journey over the last nine decades continued to uphold quality standards in all perspectives. The National Assessment and Accreditation Council accredited twice the University at grade ‘A’. The University secured 3.65 CGPA out of four point scale which is the highest among the State Universities in India. Andhra University (AU), Visakahpatnam, has been ranked second among State Universities and eighth among all universities in the country in a study conducted by Nielsen survey.Andhra University has been internationally ranked 151 by the QS World Universities Rankings in 2015.
The University has been recognized by Department of Science and Technology as one of the fourteen Universities in India in terms of contribution to research in Science, Technology and Engineering based on H-index developed by Scopus. The Engineering college of University got sanction of TEQIP phases I & II based on its excellent performance. The AU College of Engineering (A) was adjudged best Government Engineering College by different rating organizations.
International Society for space research in Asia Pacific has recognized the university for academic standards and sponsored four M.Tech., programs. This is the only University in India selected for this program.Career 360 magazine in its rating to various Universities and Institutions in the country awarded 5 star category to the University based on its contribution to research. Andhra University is one of the ten Universities in India to secure this recognition.The Current Science Journal 2013 has mentioned Andhra University is in 8th position among all Indian Institutions doing research in Social Sciences based on e-publications. Considering all its credits, the then Prime Minister Dr.Manmohan Singh described this university as ‘Magnificent University’.
Academics & Research
The University has developed research infrastructure in all departments and research centers with the support of funding agencies and industrial organizations. The faculty members are encouraged to submit project proposals for financial support. As a result of motivation the majority of faculty members got Major Research Projects supported by National and International organizations. Department of Zoology and College of Pharmaceutical Sciences got MHIRT Programme-V funded by ASU, (USA), and another Project ‘Research- Technological Development and demonstration funded by IRSES (European Project). Some researchers got patents for their research output and many others have applied for patents. Based on the research outcome of the University during the last five years the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India awarded second phase PURSE Program.
The DST has identified Andhra University as one of the 14 performing Institutions in terms of research contributions.The H-Index based on Scopus of the University stands at 41.The University got 15 patents so far and awards on an average 350 Ph.D. Degrees every year. The number of books published and research articles published in peer reviewed journals with impact factor is significant in all faculties. The average number of books published in a year during assessment period was 12 and the average number of articles published in a year was 610.
The majority of the faculty members also served as resource persons, chairpersons, keynote speakers and special guests for many of the academic events such as National and International seminars, conferences, workshops and symposia.The University is bringing out six academic journals in the following areas of specializations.
1. Andhra University of Journal of Humanities and Management 2. A.U. Advanced Journal of Sciences 3. Andhra University Journal of Law 4. A.U. Journal of Open and Distance Education 5. Journal of Applied Hydrology 6. Wisdom
Agriculture Biotechnology course was started in 2004 and has been successfully running with good placement record relatively. The course runs under the Department of Botany with well provided teaching faculty. Scope for finding a job with this course is much higher compared to other applied subjects like Biotechnology, Microbiology and Biochemistry. The curriculum includes basic as well as diverse areas related to agriculture and biotechnology as well. These include Biostatistics - taught by M. V. Subba Rao, Molecular Biology and Bioinformatics - taught by K. Uma Devi and few other papers include Seed Technology, Plant Breeding, Plant Metabolic Engineering, Genetic Engineering etc. The students are well guided for entrance exams like CSIR and GATE.
Campuses outside the university
It has established campuses outside Visakhapatnam to meet demand for post-graduate education. Campuses are located in Etcherla, Srikakulam district, Kakinada, East Godavari district, Tadepalligudem, West Godavari district and Vizianagaram. An earlier campus at Guntur City, established in 1967, became Acharya Nagarjuna University in 1976. Adikavi Nannaya University is formed in 2006 taken the affiliated colleges from East and West Godavari districts.
There are 575 affiliated colleges spread across five districts under the territorial jurisdiction of Andhra University. The enrollment in undergraduate courses is more than 77,000 and in PG Courses more than 20,000 students. The University is supported by about 860 teachers and more than 2500 non-teaching and technical staff.
The honorary doctorate degree of ‘Kala Prapoorna' (Sangha Seva) may be given in the Faculties of Engineering and Kala Prapoorna (Krishi) in the Faculty of Agriculture, ‘Kala Prapoorna' (Sangeeta), (Natya), (Nataka), (Chitra) or (Silpa) in the Faculty of Fine Arts and ‘Kala Prapoorna' (Sahitya) in the Faculty of ‘Oriental Learning'.Andhra University awarded its FIRST first class to Yadavalli Krishnanandam (Born January 15, 1930) for passing Bachelor of Science (Zoology Main) with 60.01%.
This is the list of Kalaprapoorna Awardees taken from the 83rd Annual Report of Andhra University of 2008-09.
- Vedam Venkataraya Sastry (1927)
- Janamanchi Seshadri Sarma (1937)
- Kapisthanam Desikacharyulu (1937)
- Sripada Krishnamurty Sastry (1937)
- Tata Subbaraya Sastry (1937)
- Chellapilla Venkata Sastry (1938)
- Gidugu Venkata Ramamoorty (1938)
- Jayanthi Ramayya Pantulu (1938)
- Kasinadhuni Nageswara Rao (1938)
- Vikram Deo Varma (1941)
- Chilakamarthi Lakshmi Narasimham (1943)
- Tripura Venkata Surya Prasada Rao (1943)
- Chilukuri Narayana Rao (1947)
- Vaijjhal Chine Seetharamaswamy Sastri (1947)
- Dwaram Venkataswamy Naidu (1950)
- Rajah Meka Venkatadri Appa Rao (1953)
- Rajah Nayani Venkata Ranga Rao (1953)
- Rajah Ravu Venkata Kumar Mahipathi Surya Rao (1953)
- Vavilla Venkateswara Sastrulu (1955)
- Kasi Krishnacharya (1964)
- Viswanatha Satyanarayana (1964)
- Gidugu Venkata Sitapathi (1965)
- Peri Venkateswara Sastri (1968)
- Gurram Jashuva (1969)
- Tummala Sitarama Murty (1969)
- Boyi Bhimanna (1971)
- Kondaviti Venkatakavi (1971)
- P. Satyanarayana Raju (1971)
- S. T. G. Varadachary (1971)
- Vadlamudi Gopalakrishnayya (1971)
- Duvvuri Venkataramana Sastry (1972)
- Kondur Veera Ragavacharyulu (1972)
- Atamakuri Govindacharyulu (1973)
- Nidudavolu Venkatarao (1973)
- Puripanda Appala Swamy (1973)
- Abburi Ramakrishna Rao (1974)
- Gnanananda Kavi (1974)
- K. V. N. Appa Rao (1974)
- Kotha Satyanarayana Chowdary (1974)
- Mangalampalli Balamuralikrishna (1974)
- Dasaradhi (1975)
- Devulapalli Krishnasastri (1975)
- G. Jogi Somayaji (1975)
- G. V. Chalam (1975)
- Kotagiri Venkata Krishna Rao (1975)
- Nagabhushanam (1975)
- Namburi Durwasa Maharshi (1975)
- Oruganti Narasimhamurthy Sastry (1975)
- P. Bhanumathi Ramakrishna (1975)
- P. Sivashankara Swamy (1975)
- A. Ramesh Chowdary (1977)
- Akkineni Nageswara Rao (1977)
- Avasarala Anasuya Devi (1977)
- K. Satchidananda Raut Roy (1977)
- Moturi Satyanarayana (1977)
- Rayaprolu Subba Rao (1977)
- Vedula Suryanarayana Sarma (1977)
- C. Narayana Reddy (1978)
- Gottipati Brahmayya (1978)
- Mullapudi Thimmaraju (1978)
- N. T. Rama Rao (1978)
- Nayani Subba Rao (1978)
- N. Venu Madhav (1978)
- Paidi Lakshmayya (1978)
- Pasala Suryachandra Rao (1978)
- R. V. M. G. Rama Rao (1978)
- Ravi Narayana Reddy (1978)
- Ravuri Venkata Satyanarayana (1978)
- S. Pinakapani (1978)
- Tenneti Hemalata (1978)
- Utukuri Lakshmikantamma (1978)
- Vinjamuri Siva Rama Rao (1978)
- Balantrapu Rajanikanta Rao (1980)
- Nataraja Ramakrishna (1980)
- Ravuri Bharadwaja (1980)
- Vempati Chinna Satyam (1980)
- Madhunapantula Satyanarayana Sastry (1982)
- Mikkilineni Radhakrishna Murthy (1982)
- Vemparala Suryanarayana Sastry (1982)
- Ammula Viswanadha Bhagavatar (1984)
- Chitti Babu (musician) (1984)
- Manchala Jagannadha Rao (1984)
- Pandit Gopadev (1984)
- Arudra (1985)
- Inturi Venkateswara Rao (1985)
- Kosaraju Raghavaiah (1985)
- L. V. Prasad (1985)
- Peddinti Anantha Venkata Lakshmi (1985)
- Sheik Chinna Moulana (1985)
- Dasari Narayana Rao (1986)
- D. Y. Sampath Kumar (1986)
- K. Satchidananda Murthy (1986)
- Cheria Ganapathi Sastry (1988)
- Dara Appala Narayana (1988)
- Janapati Varalakshmi (1988)
- Bapu (artist) (1990)
- C. S. Naidu (1990)
- D. Sanyasi (1990)
- Domada Chittabbayi (1990)
- E. V. Chinnayya (1990)
- Korukonda Subba Raju (1990)
- Rao Gopala Rao (1990)
- Trupuraneni Venkateswara Rao (1990)
- Ganapatiraju Atchutarama Raju (1993)
- Peesapati Narasimha Murty (1993)
- Pothukuchi Sambasiva Rao (1993)
- Tadepalli Venkanna (1993)
- A. Paidi Raju (1997)
- C. Kanakamba Raju (1997)
- G. B. Rajendra Prasad (1997)
- K. S. Tilak (1997)
- P. Suseela (1997)
- Turlapati Kutumba Rao (1997)
- Kongara Jaggayya
- K. V. Gopalaswamy
- Konidala Chiranjeevi (2006)
- Ghattamaneni Krishna (2008)
- Jaladi Raja Rao (2008)
- S. P. Balasubramanyam (2009)
- List of universities in India
- Universities and colleges in India
- Education in India
- Distance Education Council
- University Grants Commission (India)
- "Welcome to Andhra University". andhrauniversity.info. Retrieved 23 May 2011.
- 83rd Annual Report of Andhra University of 2008-09.
- NAAC – Reaccreditation Report, Andhra University  http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Vijayawada/andhra-university-8th-best-in-the-country-says-survey/article7394302.ece http://www.topuniversities.com/node/9406/ranking-details/brics-rankings/2015
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Andhra University.|