|Rhaebo haematiticus, the type species|
|13 species (see text)|
Phrynomorphus Fitzinger, 1843—preoccupied by Phrynomorphus Curtis, 1831 (insect)
Rhaebo is a genus of true toads, family Bufonidae, from Central and South America. They are distributed from Honduras to northern South America including the Amazonian lowlands. Common name Cope toads has been suggested for them.
Andinophryne, consisting of three species, was recognized as a separate genus until 2015 when it was found out that its recognition rendered Rhaebo paraphyletic. An alternative to synonymizing it with Rhaebo would have been to erect a new genus for Rhaebo nasicus, but this would have caused difficulty in assigning species without molecular data to correct genus.
Rhaebo are characterized as lacking cephalic crests, having omosternum, distinctively wide sphenethmoid, prominent and notched exoccipital condyles, and yellowish-orange skin secretions. It is not clear which of these characters are ancestral and which are derived (i.e., synapomorphies).
- Rhaebo andinophrynoides Mueses-Cisneros, 2009
- Rhaebo atelopoides (Lynch and Ruiz-Carranza, 1981)
- Rhaebo blombergi (Myers and Funkhouser, 1951)
- Rhaebo caeruleostictus (Günther, 1859)
- Rhaebo colomai (Hoogmoed, 1985)
- Rhaebo ecuadorensis Mueses-Cisneros, Cisneros-Heredia, and McDiarmid, 2012
- Rhaebo glaberrimus (Günther, 1869)
- Rhaebo guttatus (Schneider, 1799)
- Rhaebo haematiticus Cope, 1862
- Rhaebo hypomelas (Boulenger, 1913)
- Rhaebo lynchi Mueses-Cisneros, 2007
- Rhaebo nasicus (Werner, 1903)
- Rhaebo olallai (Hoogmoed, 1985)
- Frost, Darrel R. (2014). "Rhaebo Cope, 1862". Amphibian Species of the World: an Online Reference. Version 6.0. American Museum of Natural History. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "Bufonidae". AmphibiaWeb: Information on amphibian biology and conservation. [web application]. Berkeley, California: AmphibiaWeb. 2015. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- Vitt, Laurie J.; Caldwell, Janalee P. (2014). Herpetology: An Introductory Biology of Amphibians and Reptiles (4th ed.). Academic Press. p. 491.
- Ron, Santiago R.; Mueses-Cisneros, Jonh Jairo; Gutiérrez-Cárdenas, Paul David Alfonso; Rojas-Rivera, Alejandra; Lynch, Ryan L.; Rocha, Carlos F. Duarte; Galarza, Gabriela (2015). "Systematics of the endangered toad genus Andinophryne (Anura: Bufonidae): phylogenetic position and synonymy under the genus Rhaebo". Zootaxa. 3947 (3): 347–366. doi:10.11646/zootaxa.3947.3.3.