Structure and Lakshana
The notes in this scale are chatushruti rishabham, shuddha madhyamam, panchamam, kaisiki nishadham in arohana and additional chatushruti dhaivatam in avarohanam, in place of panchamam (see pictures). From Kharaharapriya scale (22nd melakarta), the gandharam is removed in this scale and the rest are used in asymmetrical manner. Since gandharam is removed this scale can also be considered a janya of 28th mela Harikambhoji scale, but since 22 comes ahead many prefer to use the association with Kharaharapriya.
- Mahishashura a varnam set to Adi talam composed by Muthiah Bhagavatar
- Raga Sudha Rasa in Adi by Thyagaraja
- Sevikka Vendumayya in Adi by Muthu Thandavar
This section covers the theoretical and scientific aspect of this rāgam.
- Madhyamavati is a rāgam which has a symmetric scale matching the ascending scale of Andolika (descending scale also has panchamam instead of chatusruti dhaivatam). Its ārohaṇa-avarohaṇa structure is S R2 M1 P N2 S : S N2 P M1 R2 S
- Kedaragaula is a rāgam which has the same ascending scale as Andolika and descending scale of Harikambhoji. Its ārohaṇa-avarohaṇa structure is S R2 M1 P N2 S : S N2 D2 P M1 G3 R2 S
- Ragas in Carnatic music by Dr. S. Bhagyalekshmy, Pub. 1990, CBH Publications
- Raganidhi by P. Subba Rao, Pub. 1964, The Music Academy of Madras