Iraola playing for Athletic Bilbao in 2007
|Full name||Andoni Iraola Sagarna|
|Date of birth||22 June 1982|
|Place of birth||Usurbil, Spain|
|Height||1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Right back|
|New York City|
|2015–||New York City||32||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 07:21, 29 August 2016 (UTC).
Andoni Iraola Sagarna (Basque pronunciation: [andoni iɾa.ola s̺aɣarna], Spanish: [anˈdoni iɾaˈola saˈɣarna]; born 22 June 1982) is a Spanish footballer who plays for American club New York City FC as a right back.
Iraola was born in Usurbil, Gipuzkoa. A product of Athletic Bilbao's youth system, Lezama, he made his debuts with the first team in the 2003–04 season, becoming an instant first-choice while often taking penalties and free kicks. On 30 August 2003 he made his first La Liga appearance, starting in a 0–1 home loss against FC Barcelona, and his five goals in 30 appearances helped the team qualify for the UEFA Cup.
During his twelve seasons Iraola never played in fewer than 30 league matches, scoring in all but one league campaign – like former club legend Aitor Larrazábal, who played as a left back– while also helping the Basque side finish second in three Copa del Rey tournaments and the 2011–12 UEFA Europa League. On 28 January 2007 he netted twice in a 2–0 away win against neighbours Real Sociedad, who were finally relegated – Athletic narrowly avoided the drop, ranking in 17th position. He played his first cup final in 2009, a 1–4 loss to Barcelona at Mestalla in Valencia, and three years later helped them finish runners-up in both the domestic cup and the Europa League.
2012–13 marked the first year where Iraola failed to find the net in the league, but he continued to be the side's automatic first-choice in his position as he featured in 35 games. His only goal of the season came on 24 August 2012 in a 6–0 home routing of HJK Helsinki for the playoff round of the UEFA Europa League (9–3 on aggregate).
On 4 December 2013, Iraola renewed his contract with the club, keeping him at the San Mamés until 30 June 2015. He captained the team in his last match, the 2015 Copa del Rey Final which was lost 1–3 to Barcelona; in the 24th minute of his last league appearance, the previous weekend against Villarreal CF, Aritz Aduriz offered him the taking of a penalty kick but he declined, so the former converted it instead.
New York City
On 16 June 2015, aged 33, Iraola moved abroad for the first time in his career, signing for Major League Soccer club New York City FC. He made his debut against Toronto FC at the Yankee Stadium on 12 July, playing the entirety of a 4–4 draw.
On 20 August 2008, Iraola was called by new Spain coach Vicente del Bosque for a friendly with Denmark, alongside teammate Fernando Amorebieta. He entered the pitch in the final 15 minutes of the 3–0 away success, coming in as a substitute for Sergio Ramos.
On 29 March 2011, after nearly one-and-a-half years without playing for the national team, Iraola started in a 3–1 win against Lithuania in Kaunas for the UEFA Euro 2012 qualifiers. He was due to make the cut for the final squad, but injury forced him out in favor of Atlético Madrid's Juanfran.
- As of 29 August 2016
|New York City||2015||9||0||0||0||–||–||9||0|
- Athletic Bilbao
- UEFA Europa League: Runner-up 2011–12
- Copa del Rey: Runner-up 2008–09, 2011–12, 2014–15
- Supercopa de España: Runner-up 2009
- Iraola, sin fin (Iraola, without limits); El País, 20 February 2011 (Spanish)
- "Iraola igualará a Larrazabal en el ranking histórico" [Iraola to equal Larrazabal in historical ranking] (in Spanish). Mundo Deportivo. 11 October 2013. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- Athletic Bilbao 0–1 Barcelona; ESPN Soccernet, 30 August 2003
- "Iraola es el defensa más goleador de toda la Liga" [Iraola is the defender with the most goals in the entire League] (in Spanish). El Desmarque. 22 November 2011. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- Real Sociedad 0–2 Athletic Bilbao; ESPN Soccernet, 28 January 2007
- "Bielsa delighted as Athletic get back on track". UEFA.com. 24 August 2012. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Andoni Iraola's renewal". Athletic Bilbao. 4 December 2013. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Andoni Iraola: Neymar has examples in his own team to learn from". Sport. 31 May 2015. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "El Athletic monta la fiesta" [Athletic gets the party started] (in Spanish). Marca. 23 May 2015. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "New York City FC sign veteran defender Andoni Iraola". New York City FC. 16 June 2015. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "New York City FC vs. Toronto FC: Match recap". New York City FC. 12 July 2015. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "Amorebieta e Iraola, sorpresas en la lista de Del Bosque" [Amorebieta and Iraola, surprises in Del Bosque's list] (in Spanish). Marca. 14 August 2011. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Rodríguez, Rubén (20 August 2008). "Del Bosque debuta con victoria en Dinamarca" [Del Bosque debuts with victory in Denmark] (in Spanish). El Confidencial. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Mata the catalyst as Spain win in Lithuania; UEFA.com, 29 March 2011
- Negredo, Jordi Alba y Juanfran, tres caras nuevas para tres necesidades (Negredo, Jordi Alba and Juanfran, three new faces for three needs); Goal.com, 28 May 2012 (Spanish)
- Athletic Bilbao profile
- Includes other competitive competitions, including the Supercopa de España, UEFA Super Cup, FIFA Club World Cup.