|20th General of The Salvation Army|
3 August 2013 – 3 August 2018
|Preceded by||Linda Bond|
|Succeeded by||Brian Peddle|
|Acting General of The Salvation Army|
13 June 2013 – 3 August 2013
|24th Chief of the Staff of The Salvation Army|
1 February 2013 – 3 August 2013
|Preceded by||Barry Swanson|
|Succeeded by||William A. Roberts|
|Born||12 July 1954|
Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia
|Spouse(s)||Silvia (née Volet)|
General André Cox (born 12 July 1954) is the former chief executive officer (CEO) and 20th General of The Salvation Army. He was commissioned as an Officer in The Salvation Army on 25 May 1979. He was elected to the position of General by the 18th High Council of The Salvation Army on 3 August 2013 and retired on 3 August 2018; he was succeeded by Brian Peddle.
He was the Chief of the Staff of The Salvation Army from 1 February 2013 to 3 August 2013. In the wake of the unexpected retirement of General Linda Bond in June 2013, Cox fulfilled the duties of General as Acting General for about two months until his actual election.
Born in Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia, today Zimbabwe, to an English father and Swiss mother, Cox spent his childhood years in Southern Rhodesia and the United Kingdom, before moving to Switzerland where he met and married Silvia Cox (née Volet), who was born to Swiss parents in Argentina.
Cox was commissioned as a Salvation Army officer on 25 May 1979 and spent the early years of his ministry as a corps officer in Switzerland. In 2005, Cox was appointed as the territorial commander of The Salvation Army's work in Finland and Estonia; a post he held until he took command of the Southern Africa Territory in October 2008.
Cox and his wife Silvia spent four years as leaders of the Salvation Army’s Southern Africa Territory, which includes work in the countries of South Africa, Lesotho, Namibia, the Islands of St Helena and Swaziland. They then served for 6 months as the territorial leaders of the United Kingdom with Ireland Territory.
When he took up his appointment as Chief of the Staff of The Salvation Army, Cox followed in the footsteps of his father, Commissioner Ron Cox, who served as the Chief of the Staff from 1987 to 1991.
On 13 June 2013, when General Linda Bond unexpectedly retired from the position of General of the Salvation Army, Cox became Acting General of The Salvation Army. The High Council of The Salvation Army met on 29 July 2013 to begin the process of electing a new General. On 31 July 2013 Cox was nominated by the High Council as a candidate for the 20th General of The Salvation Army, and on 3 August 2013 was elected General of The Salvation Army.
|Corps||Switzerland and Austria Territory||June 1979|
|Public Relations||Zimbabwe Territory||July 1987|
|Territorial Headquarters||Zimbabwe Territory||June 1992|
|Finance Secretary||Zimbabwe Territory||April 1994|
|Head of Communications Department||Switzerland, Austria and Hungary Territory||October 1997|
|Business Administrator||Switzerland, Austria and Hungary Territory||February 2002|
|Territorial Commander||Finland and Estonia Territory||July 2005|
|Territorial Commander||Southern Africa Territory||October 2008|
|Territorial Commander||United Kingdom Territory with the Republic of Ireland||May 2012|
|Chief of the Staff||International Headquarters||February 2013|
|General||International Headquarters||3 August 2013|
In February 2018, Cox announced his retirement with effect on 3 August 2018. Cox, following the form of several of his predecessors, will have been General for exactly five years. The High Council of The Salvation Army chose Brian Peddle as Cox's successor in May 2018.
- "The Salvation Army International – Candidate Profile: Commissioner André Cox". Salvationarmy.org. Retrieved 5 January 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 8 August 2014. Retrieved 2013-06-19. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Salvation Army News: International News". Salvationist.org. 6 February 2013. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 5 January 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Plans under way for 2018 High Council". Salvation Army International. Retrieved 16 March 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Australia, The Salvation Army. "Generals | The Salvation Army Australia". www.salvationarmy.org.au. Retrieved 27 July 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Salvation Army International - 2018 High Council". www.salvationarmy.org. Retrieved 27 July 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
| General of The Salvation Army
2013 – 2018