André François (1967)
9 November 1915
Temesvár, Austria-Hungary (now Timişoara, Romania)
|Died||11 April 2005 (aged 89)|
André François (9 November 1915 – 11 April 2005), born André Farkas, was a Hungarian-born French cartoonist.
This section does not cite any sources. (August 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
He was born to an Hungarian family in Temesvár, Austria-Hungary (now Timişoara, Romania), He studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Budapest (1932–33). He moved to Paris in 1934 and entered to the atelier of the famous poster artist Adolphe Cassandre (1935–36). He became a French citizen in 1939.
He worked as a painter, sculptor and graphic designer, but is best remembered for his cartoons, whose subtle humor and wide influence bear comparison to those of Saul Steinberg. François initially worked for French leftist newspapers (Le Nouvel Observateur) and illustrated books by authors such as Jacques Prévert, but gradually reached a larger audience, publishing in leading magazines of the United Kingdom (Punch) and the United States (The New Yorker). He also did a masterpiece cover illustration of the 1965 UK Penguin paperback edition of Lord of the Flies. He became a close friend and collaborator of Ronald Searle. He was member of Alliance Graphique Internationale.
- Les Larmes de Crocodile = Crocodile Tears.
- Neuf No. 9. Paris: Maison de la Médecine, 1953. OCLC 864302499.
- Paris: Delpire, 1955. OCLC 459725216.
- Crocodile Tears. London: Faber and Faber, 1955. ISBN 9780571090280. Translated by E.M. Hatt.
- Double Bedside Book
- 2009: Rencontres d'Arles festival
- Anne-Claude Lelieur et Raymond Bachollet, André François, Bibliothèque Forney, 2003, ISBN 2-84331-116-0
Shahn, Ben, "The Gallic Laughter of Andre Francois," Horizon, May 1959, Volume I, Number 5, pp 108–121, (American Horizon, Inc., a subsidiary of American Heritage Publishing Co., Inc.)
- Obituary in The Times
- André François at Pbase
- André François at AskArt
- (in French) André François's 2004 exhibition at the Centre Pompidou
- (in Romanian) "Timişoreanul André François, un caricaturist celebru", in Evenimentul Zilei
- Art Directors Club biography, portrait and images of work
|This profile of a European comics creator, writer, or artist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a French artist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|