André Ricard Sala
18 June 1929 |
Industrial designer, lecturer and writer. Raymond Loewy made contact with Peter Muller-Munk, founder of ICSID (1956). Invited as observer at the 1959 ICSID Congress. He shared the set up of ADIFAD (1960), the Spanish designers society he later on presided (1971-1973). Member of the ICSID Study Group (1961). ICSID Vice-President (1963-1971). Leader of ICSID Design for Disaster Relief (1976). He founded and presided ADP, the designer's professional association (1978). Vice-President of the Barcelona Design Center (1990-1996). Member of the Faculty of the Art Center - Europe (1988-1996). Head of Product Design in EINA school (1993-1999). Designer of the Olympic torch of the Barcelona Games (1992) and of the Olympic Cauldrum at Lausanne's Olympic Museum (1993). President of the NGO Design for the World (1999-2007). Trustee of EINA Foundation and of Loewe Foundation. Honor Member of the Saint George Academy (2000). Member of the Royal Academy of Sciences and Arts (2011).
He deserved some prestigious awards: the Spanish National Design Prize (1987), the Catalan Saint George Cross and the IOC Olympic Order (1993), Chevalier des Arts et des Lettres - France (1998) and Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur – France (2011). His designs deserved Spanish and international design awards. An exhibition of his work was set up at the Miró Museum (1999).
- Diseño ¿por qué?- Gustavo Gili Editor 1982 (What's design for?)
- Diseño y calidad de vida – BCD Foundation 1985 (Design and quality of life)
- Hablando de diseño- Hogar del libro 1986 (speaking on design)
- La aventura creativa – Editorial Ariel 2000 (The creative adventure)
- En resumen... – Angle Editorial 2003 (in brief...)
- Conversando con estudiantes de diseño – Gustavo Gili Editor 2008 (Speaking with design students)
- Hitos del diseño – Editorial Ariel 2009 (Design hits)
- Casos de diseño – Editorial Ariel 2011 (Design cases)
- Guy Julier, New Spanish Design, London: Thames & Hudson, 1991,
- Emma Dent Coad, Spanish Design and Architecture, London, Studio Vista, 1990
- Robert Hughes, Barcelona, Alfred A. Knopf, New-York 1992.