Blanco playing for the Rangers in 2011
April 11, 1984 |
|April 17, 2004, for the Kansas City Royals|
(through 2017 season)
|Runs batted in||109|
Andrés Eloy Blanco Perez (born April 11, 1984) is a Venezuelan professional baseball infielder who is a free agent. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Kansas City Royals, Chicago Cubs, Texas Rangers and Philadelphia Phillies.
Kansas City Royals
He hit .215 with a .220 on-base percentage in 2005, and .241 with a .290 on-base percentage in 2006, both with Kansas City. Blanco had surgery on September 29, 2006, to repair a posterior labrum tear in his left shoulder, which he injured during a swing five days prior against the Tigers.
He did not play in the major leagues in 2007, but batted .192 in the minor leagues with a .226 on-base percentage and a .212 slugging percentage.
He signed a minor league contract with the Chicago Cubs in November 2007, played the 2008 season with the Iowa Cubs where he hit .285/.327/.336, and became a free agent at the end of the season. In December 2008, he re-signed with the Cubs.
On June 20, 2009, during an interleague game between the Cubs and Cleveland Indians, Blanco hit an RBI single to tie a game in extra innings. He later scored the winning run for the Cubs on a wild pitch thrown by Indians' closer Kerry Wood.
On March 27, 2010, Blanco was traded to the Texas Rangers for a player to be named later or cash. He subsequently won the Rangers' utility infielder position. In 2011 he batted .224/.263/.342 for Texas. He became a free agent on November 4, 2011.
Blanco signed a minor league contract with the Washington Nationals on December 16, 2011. He also received an invitation to spring training.
After leaving the Nationals, Blanco signed a minor league contract with the Philadelphia Phillies on March 31, 2012. Playing for Lehigh Valley in AAA in 2013, he batted .235/.301/.346 in 461 at bats. He had right shoulder surgery in February 2013, and missed playing the entire 2013 season.
On December 14, 2016, Blanco signed a one-year, $3 million contract with the Phillies. On June 7, 2017, Blanco pitched 1⁄3 of an inning in a blowout loss to the Atlanta Braves, giving up a 2-run home run for an ERA of 27.00.
- Eskew, Alan (February 19, 2007). "Notes: Blanco limited by shoulder injury". MLB.com. Retrieved November 25, 2009.
- Kaegel, Dick (September 30, 2006). "Notes: McClure remains calm". MLB.com. Retrieved November 25, 2009.
- Andres Blanco Minor & Winter Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com
- Andrés Blanco Stats, Fantasy & News | MLB.com
- Seidman, Corey (November 21, 2013). "Phillies sign Andres Blanco to minor-league deal". CSNPhilly.com. Archived from the original on March 17, 2014. Retrieved March 6, 2014.
- Todd, Jeff (December 14, 2016). "Phillies Re-Sign Andres Blanco, Designate David Rollins". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved December 14, 2016.
- "Braves 14, Phillies 1: June 7, 2017". MLB Gameday. mlb.com. June 7, 2017. Retrieved June 8, 2017.