Deveaux playing for the New York Rangers in 2011
February 23, 1984 |
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Weight||220 lb (100 kg; 15 st 10 lb)|
Toronto Maple Leafs
New York Rangers
|NHL Draft||182nd overall, 2002
Andre Deveaux (born February 23, 1984) is a Bahamian-born Canadian professional ice hockey player who last played for Rögle BK of the Swedish HockeyAllsvenskan. He previously played in the National Hockey League (NHL) with the Toronto Maple Leafs and the New York Rangers. He was selected by the Montreal Canadiens in the 6th round (182nd overall) of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft. Deveaux was born in Freeport, Bahamas, but he is a naturalized Canadian citizen who was raised in Welland, Ontario.
Initially drafted by the Montreal Canadiens, 182nd overall in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, Deveaux made his National Hockey League (NHL) debut with the Toronto Maple Leafs on November 27, 2008, against the Ottawa Senators. In addition to playing with the Maple Leafs, Deveaux has been a member of the Toronto Marlies, Chicago Wolves and Springfield Falcons of the American Hockey League (AHL) and the Johnstown Chiefs of the ECHL. Deveaux is the first person born in the Bahamas to play in the NHL.
On February 12, 2010, after getting penalized for a melee in a game between the Marlies and the Manitoba Moose in Winnipeg involving almost all the players on the ice, Deveaux was alleged to have been taunted with racial slurs by a fan while in the penalty box. Deveaux subsequently threw a roll of hockey tape in the heckler's direction and was suspended for three games by the AHL.
On August 24, 2010, Deveaux signed as a free agent to a one-year contract to return to the AHL's Chicago Wolves.
On November 25, 2011, while playing for the Rangers, Deveaux was suspended by the NHL for three games, for delivering an illegal check to the head of forward Tomas Fleischmann in a game against the Florida Panthers on November 23, 2011. Deveaux was eligible to return December 1, 2011, however instead Rangers president and general manager Glen Sather announced Deveaux had been assigned to the Connecticut Whale of the AHL.
On July 9, 2012, Deveaux signed a one-year contract as a free agent with the Panthers. With the NHL lockout in affect, Deveaux was directly assigned to Florida's AHL affiliate, the San Antonio Rampage. On March 19, 2013, during a game in Cedar Park, Texas, against the Texas Stars, Deveaux was accidentally high-sticked in the face. As he fell to the ice he slid underneath teammate Nolan Yonkman, knocking him over. As Yonkman tried not to fall he accidentally stepped on Deveaux's face, with full force. The resulting cut required dozens of stitches to close.
On March 26, during a game between VIK Västerås HK and Rögle BK, Per Helmersson checked Deveaux into the boards, resulting in Deveaux losing consciousness. At the following game, Deveaux attacked VIK Västerås HK defenseman Per Helmersson from behind during the warmups for a game between VIK Västerås and Rögle BK in Swedish league HockeyAllsvenskan. On March 30, after video of the incident was posted on YouTube, Rögle terminated Deveaux's contract for next season. Swedish prosecutors subsequently issued an arrest warrant for Deveaux in response to the incident. On May 8, Deveaux and his wife held a press conference in Toronto, outlining his side of the incident and describing the lingering effects of the Helmersson hit.
|2002–03||Owen Sound Attack||OHL||29||9||10||19||33||4||2||2||4||6|
|2003–04||Owen Sound Attack||OHL||64||16||30||46||151||7||3||3||6||21|
|2008–09||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||21||0||1||1||75||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||1||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||New York Rangers||NHL||9||0||1||1||29||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||San Antonio Rampage||AHL||46||7||7||14||56||—||—||—||—||—|
- Koshan, Terry (2008). "Road to redemption". Canoe.ca. Retrieved 2008-11-28.
- Girard, Daniel (February 16, 2010). "Marlies' Deveaux calls suspension "fair"". The Star. Toronto. Retrieved April 23, 2010.
- Chicago Wolves (2010-08-24). "Wolves bring back 2008 Calder Cup Champ Deveaux". oursportscentral.com. Retrieved 2010-08-24.
- Andre Deveaux New York Rangers - 2011-2012 Stats - New York Rangers - All Time Roster
- Deveaux suspended for three games - New York Rangers - News
- "Deveaux assigned to Connecticut". New York Rangers. 2011-12-01. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- "Panthers agree to terms with C Andre Deveaux". Florida Panthers. 2012-07-09. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- "Andre Deveaux's Contract Terminated in Swededn AFter Slashing Incident". CBS. 2015-03-30. Retrieved 2015-05-05.
- "Gotta See It: Ex-Leafs enforcer's vicious slash". Sportsnet. 2015-03-29. Retrieved 2015-03-29.
- "Swedish team terminates contract of Andre Deveaux after vicious pre-game slash". Yahoo Sports. 2015-03-30. Retrieved 2015-03-30.
- "Arrest warrant issued for Deveaux". TSN. March 31, 2015. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- "Deveaux claims self-defence for attack". TSN. 2015-05-08.