This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Occupation||Journalist, Writer, Filmmaker|
André Vltchek is a USSR-born American political analyst, journalist, and a filmmaker. Vltchek was born in St. Petersburg but later became a naturalized U.S. citizen. He has lived in the US, Chile, Peru, Mexico, Vietnam, Samoa and Indonesia.
He has covered armed conflicts in Peru, Kashmir, Mexico, Bosnia, Sri Lanka, Congo, India, South Africa, East Timor, Indonesia, Turkey and the Middle East. He has traveled to more than 140 countries, and has written articles for Der Spiegel, Asahi Shimbun, The Guardian, ABC News and Lidové noviny. Since 2004, Vltchek has served as a Senior Fellow at the Oakland Institute.
He has appeared on various television and radio shows including those on France 24, RT, China Radio International, The Voice of Russia, Press TV, CCTV, Ulusal Kanal (Turkey), Al-Mayadeen (Pan-Arabic network), Radio Pacifika, Radio Cape, among others. Vltchek has been interviewed by publications including People's Daily, China Daily and Tehran Times.
Commenting on Vltchek's book Oceania, published in 2010, US linguist Noam Chomsky said that it evoked "the reality of the contemporary world" and that "He has also not failed to trace the painful - and particularly for the West, shameful realities to their historical roots".
André Vltchek (pronounced "vultcek") was born in St. Petersburg [Leningrad] the Soviet Union, in 1962. His father was a Czech nuclear physicist and his mother a Russo-Chinese painter. He was raised in Central Europe. He is currently based in Asia and Africa.
Non-fiction and investigative journalism
Vltchek is the author of several non-fiction titles that center on Western imperialism and Western expansionism.
- Por Lula (Portuguese Edition) (2018). PT Badak Merah Semesta, 274 pp. ISBN 978-6025095429
- Revolutionary Optimism, Western Nilhilism (2018). PT Badak Merah Semesta, 286 pp. ISBN 978-6025095412
- Exposing Lies of the Empire (2015). PT Badak Merah Semesta, 822 pp. ISBN 978-6027005860
- Fighting Against Western Imperialism (2014). PT Badak Merah Semesta, 164 pp. ISBN 978-6027005822, about the rise of Western imperialism
- On Western Terrorism: From Hiroshima to Drone Warfare (2013). (with Noam Chomsky). Pluto Press, 200 pp. ISBN 978-0745333878, a discussion on western power and propaganda with Noam Chomsky
- Oceania: Neocolonialism, Nukes and Bones (2013). Atuanui Press, 258 pp. ISBN 978-0992245337, an in-depth analysis of the entire Pacific region and its "destruction" by traditional and neo-colonial powers
- Indonesia, Archipelago of Fear (2012). Pluto Press. 288 pp. ISBN 9780745331997, about post-1965 Indonesia, a collapsed state
- Exile: Conversations with Pramoedya Ananta (2006). (with Rosie Indira and Nagesh Rao). Haymarket Books. 166 pp. ISBN 1-931859-28-0, conversations with the Southeast Asian writer Pramoedya Ananta Toer
- Western Terror: From Potosi to Baghdad (2006). Mainstay Press. 304 pp. ISBN 0-9774590-3-9
Vltchek is the author of several fictional novels and plays.
- "Aurora" (1st Edition, 2016), Badak Merah Semesta, 200 p. ISBN 978-6027354364
- Point of No Return (2nd Edition, 2013). Mainstay Press, 364 p. ISBN 978-0977459070
- Liberation Lit (2010). (with Toni Christini). Mainstay Press. 822 p. ISBN 0-9774590-6-3
- Ghosts of Valparaiso and Conversations with James
- Nalezený, a novel published in Czech
In 2004 he produced and directed a documentary film about the Indonesian massacres in 1965 – Terlena – Breaking of The Nation. Right after a devastating earthquake that shook Chile in February 2010, Vltchek travelled to Chile and produced a documentary titled Chile Between Two Earthquakes.
For UNESCO Vltchek wrote and directed a film Tumaini about social collapse and devastation caused by HIV pandemic in communities around Lake Victoria in Kenya. In 2012, he wrote and directed the documentary One Flew Over Dadaab to depict the 20-year long tragedy of Somali refugees in the largest refugee camps in the world (Dadaab, in Northern Kenya).
Vltchek is also working on a 1,000-page novel called Winter Journey that describes the state of the world through the eyes of a "disgruntled globalized left-wing intellectual".
- "André Vltchek's 'Point of No Return'". France 24. 2010-09-07. Retrieved 2016-08-17.
- Rajiva, Lila. "Getting to the Point of No Return: A Conversation with Andre Vltchek". MR ZINE.
- Ziabari, Kourosh (2012-09-05). "Freedom of speech has become a propaganda slogan: Andre Vltchek". Tehran Times. Archived from the original on 2014-07-14.
- Guangjin, Cheng (2011-10-12). "'China offers vital alternative to West'". China Daily.
- Aceh Abandoned: The Second Tsunami, Oakland Institute, "Andre Vltchek, a Senior Fellow at the Oakland Institute.."
- Author: Andre Vltchek, CNN Travel, "Andre is also a Senior Fellow at The Oakland Institute"
- Amoah, Michael (2013-03-25). "Rwandan model? RT — CrossTalk". RT.com. RT. Retrieved 2016-08-17.
- "China's Peaceful Development Exemplary for World: U.S. Writer". China Radio International. 2011-10-07. Retrieved 2016-08-17.
- "US Reporter Talks West's Anti-China Campaign". China Radio International. 2011-10-12. Retrieved 2016-08-17.
- "US Edition". Voice of Russia. Retrieved 2016-08-17.
- "West propaganda machine targets Russia: Journalist". Retrieved 2016-04-02.[dead link]
- "US novelist talks West's anti-China campaign - People's Daily Online". English.people.com.cn. 2011-10-12. Retrieved 2016-08-17.
- Point de non-retour, Le Grand Soir, 1er septembre 2010: "Né à Stalingrad en 1962, d’un physicien nucléaire tchèque et d’une artiste peintre russo-chinoise, Andre Vltchek (prononcer ‘Voultchek’) a grandi en Europe centrale puis a pris la nationalité américaine."
- Film Screening: "Terlena: Breaking of a Nation" - Director Q&As and Book Signing with Andre Vltchek, Facebook Events
- Chile Between Two Earthquakes, Asia Africa Kappa Productions, YouTube
- Tumaini, YouTube
- 'One Flew Over Dadaab' Trailer, Asia Africa Kappa Productions, YouTube
- One Flew Over Dadaab, UNESCO
- Film Screening: 'One Flew Over Dadaab', followed by discussion with film director, Andre Vltchek, WhereEvent