Andre Walker (born August 19, 1956 in Chicago, Illinois) is a hairstylist from the United States who has won seven Daytime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Hairstyling for his work on The Oprah Winfrey Show. He is best known for being the personal hairstylist of Oprah Winfrey and for creating Halle Berry's signature short pixie haircut. Other celebrity clients of Walker's have included Barbara Bush and Michelle Obama.
After graduating from the Pivot Point Academy, Walker began working as a hairstylist and opened his own salon in downtown Chicago. In 1986, after watching The Oprah Winfrey Show, he wrote to Oprah offering to help style her hair. She responded and took up his offer, and he soon became her personal hairstylist.
For his work on The Oprah Winfrey Show, Walker won the Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Hairstyling seven times in 1989, 1990, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997 and 2003. He was also nominated for this award a further seven times (in 1987, 1988, 1998, 1999, 2004, 2005 and 2006). In 2008, Pivot Point International awarded Walker its inaugural L.E.O. Award, named for Pivot Point founder Leo Passage. Walker thanked Pivot Point for encouraging him to “do almost anything” in the field of hair design. Walker received the Thurgood Marshall Fashion Icon Award in 2009.
- "Andre Walker". The HistoryMakers. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- Camera Man, J. Johnson, Elle, 27 June 2011.
- Celebrity Stylist Andre Walker to Partner With HSN to Launch Hair Care Product, Madame Noire, 15 December 2010.
- Oprah’s Hair Guru Andre Walker: A TFS Exclusive Interview, S. Howard, The Fashion Spot, 4 March 2011.
- About Andre Archived 2013-12-08 at the Wayback Machine., andrewalkerhair.com, retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "The Hair Chart - 99% Invisible". 99% Invisible. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- Andre Walker – Awards, Internet Movie Database, retrieved 15 December 2013.
- “Events in the Industry, Benefits and Awards", American Salon, 1 June 2008.
- Jackson & Blige feted at college gala, Daily Express, 27 October 2009.
|This biographical article related to television in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|