Andre Walker Hair Typing System
The Andre Walker Hair Typing System is classification system for hair types created in the 1990s by Oprah Winfrey's stylist Andre Walker. It was originally created to market Walker's line of hair care products but has since been widely adopted as a hair type classification system. The system includes images of each hair type to aid classification. The system has been criticised for an apparent hierarchy which values caucasian hair over other hair types. In 2018 the system was the subject of episodes of the podcasts 99% Invisible and The Stoop.
|Type 1||Straight hair||thin and fine||a mixture of thin and coarse hair||coarse|
|Type 2||Wavy hair||undefined and lacks volume||more definition||coarse with a lot of volume|
|Type 3||Curly hair||a loopy "S" pattern||smaller curl pattern, more coarse||-|
|Type 4||Kinky hair||tightly coiled and has a tight "S" patterned curl||"Z" shaped pattern with less of a defined curl||-|
- "Andre Walker hair typing system - Women Health Info Blog". Women Health Info Blog. 2017-02-01. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "The Hair Chart - 99% Invisible". 99% Invisible. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "Q&A with Andre Walker". Oprah.com. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "The Andre Walker System: Hair Typing Chart - The Salon and Spa at Studio 2121". www.studio2121.com. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "Episode 13: Are you a 4C?". The Stoop. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "The Only Hair Typing System Article You'll Ever Need". Curl Centric® | Rewrite the Rules of Natural Hair Care. 2017-03-09. Retrieved 2018-04-25.