AndreaMosaic 3.37 / March 12, 2017
AndreaMosaic 3.37.5 Beta / May 31, 2018
|Written in||C++, Assembly language|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux|
|Available in||English, Русский, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Chinese, German|
|Type||Graphic art software|
|License||Proprietary software with free to use license for personal/commercial use|
The first public release was version 3.12 in 2003. In the following years new features where added once or twice a year. A completely new interface came out of beta testing with version 3.3 in September, 2008.
- On-the-fly creation of image variants
- Automatic cropping of images to fit the tile aspect ratio
- Automatic color adjustment
- Prevention of close duplicates
- High-resolution mosaics (up to 100 gigapixel)
As of version 3.32[update] AndreaMosaic is available in Standard and Professional versions. Both share the same features but the Professional version exceeds the Standard version's limits of 200 megapixels and 30,000 tiles. AndreaMosaic is supported on Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 2003 and also on Mac OS X and Linux distributions through the free Wine software. The software can be installed using the standard installer or through a fully portable no-install archive. A collection of 500 sample images is freely available.
The license allows free use of the software, including commercial use, but it requires that every published or printed photographic mosaic, or derivative work, includes a reference to AndreaMosaic. Also the publishing or display to a large audience of a particular mosaic should be added to the public list of artworks created with AndreaMosaic.
Artworks was created worldwide using AndreaMosaic including
- a giant mosaic at the official Danish contribution to the 11th International Architecture Exhibition, Venice Biennale (credits)
- a mosaic in the short movie Fight for Beauty at the 52nd International Art Exhibition, Venice Biennale
Although the software has proved popular and has some powerful features, it has been criticised for not being user-friendly with a confusing and dull interface featuring atrocious grammar but providing an excellent user guide and producing excellent results.
- "Editor's Review of AndreaMosaic". PCWorld. 2008-05-28. Archived from the original on 24 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-12.
- "WayBackMachine: AndreaMosaic". web.archive.org. 2003-07-02. Archived from the original on July 2, 2003. Retrieved 2016-07-03.
- "How-To: Make your own photo mosaics". engadget. 2004-10-19. Archived from the original on 6 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-12.
- "Andrew Mosaic download and history". Archived from the original on 7 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-06.
- "Gadget Guy Review: Andrea Mosaic". WISCTV/Channel 3000. 2007-11-26. Archived from the original on 24 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-12.
- "Make Artistic Mosaics With Your Photos". PCWorld. 2008-06-09. Archived from the original on 6 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "Video Clip — Create a Photo Mosaic". PC Magazine. 2005-10-05. Archived from the original on 25 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "Create beautiful mosaics from your own pictures". Softonic.com. 2007-10-25. Archived from the original on 19 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-12.
- Caterina Fake (2006). Flickr Hacks: Tips & Tools for Sharing Photos Online. O'Reilly. p. 335. ISBN 978-0-596-10245-6.