|38th President of the Royal College of Nursing|
|Preceded by||Maura Buchanan|
|Occupation||Nurse, Midwife, Senior Lecturer|
Early life and education
Born in Liverpool, her career started with nursing and has spanned a number of disciplines including midwifery, academia and the planning and development of new hospital projects. She obtained a number of academic degrees, i.e. a BA in Health Studies, an LLB (Hons) in Law and an LLM degree in Medical Law. She furthermore received a Diploma in Professional Studies in Nursing (DPSN) and qualified as a Registered General Nurse (RGN), a State Certified Midwife (SCM) and a Registered Nurse Teacher (RNT).
Spyropoulos trained as a nurse at the former Royal Liverpool United Hospitals Group in 1976. She has more than 30 years nursing experience, including working as a Midwife and then a Senior Lecturer at Liverpool John Moores University, teaching Health Care and later Medical Law.
She worked on the trust board of Clatterbridge Centre for Oncology for 9 years as a non-executive director. During her term she chaired Independent Panel Reviews and the Research Governance Committee as well as sitting on the performance, audit, investment and remuneration committees. She stepped down from this role on 31 January 2007.
Work with the Royal College of Nursing
Spyropoulos became a member of the Royal College of Nursing when she was 18. Appointed as a steward in 1988, since that time she has held a number of other unpaid roles within the organisation including positions as Safety Representative, Council Member and chair of Nursing Practice and Policy Committee before being elected to the role of president in 2010. She has represented the RCN in several fora, including at its Congress events and notably also at conferences hosted in the UK Parliament's House of Commons.
Spyropoulos thanked RCN members and colleagues stating that she was "really looking forward to representing the RCN and its members at the highest level.". A month later she represented the RCN at the European Parliament's 'EU Public Health Alliance'.
- "Liverpool Local News: Liverpool nurse appointed as president of Royal College of Nursing". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 2010-11-14.
- "Candidate - Andrea Spyropoulos". RCN. Retrieved 14 November 2010.
- "Patient Group Directions". Nursing Times. 28 February 2002. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "Clatterbridge Centre for Oncology, NHS Foundation Trust - Annual Report" (PDF). Clatterbridge Centre for Oncology. Retrieved 14 November 2010.
- "Clatterbridge Centre for Oncology, Service Development Strategy (Draft 7)" (PDF). NHS Wirral. September 2005. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "Midwifery News, Royal College of Nursing welcomes new President". MIDIRS. 1 September 2010. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "RCN elects new President". RCN. 31 August 2010. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "RCN re-elects leader for nurses and healthcare assistants". GP Online. 8 October 2009. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "Nurses say reform prostitute law". BBC News. 26 April 2005. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "Women in London, Rape and Prostitution - A Question of Consent". Women in London. 3 February 2009. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "New RCN president to represent the college at the 'highest level'". National Health Executive. 25 October 2010. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "EU Workforce for Health – Putting a Human Face to EU Policy-making". European Public Health Alliance. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Nursing in the UK and abroad". RCN. Archived from the original on 24 October 2010. Retrieved 6 December 2010.