Andrean High School
|Andrean High School|
Magister Meus Christus
Christ is Our Teacher
Merrillville, Indiana, 46410
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|School district||Diocese of Gary|
|President||Harry J. Vande Velde III|
|Average class size||22|
|Student to teacher ratio||17:1|
|Campus size||47 acres (19 ha)|
|Color(s)||Red and Old Gold|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Crossroads Conference|
|Team name||The Fighting 59ers|
|Athletic Director||Bill Mueller|
The school was founded in 1959, and named after the first bishop of the diocese of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Gary, Andrew Grutka. Since its founding, Andrean has been staffed in part by members of the Basilian Fathers and the Sisters of Saints Cyril and Methodius. The school colors are red and gold in honor of the martyrdom and subsequent glory of St. Andrew. The school motto is "Magister Meus Christus," or "Christ is Our Teacher."
When Andrean High School first opened its doors to 337 students on September 14, 1959, it fulfilled the dream of many dedicated people who longed for a centrally-located Catholic High School between Bishop Noll Institute in Hammond, IN and Marquette Catholic High School in Michigan City, IN. Bishop Leo Aloysius Pursley from the Diocese of Fort Wayne and Bishop Andrew Gregory Grutka from the newly formed Diocese of Gary worked tirelessly on key details that would provide the faithful of Northwest Indiana with a school that would excdeed their expectations. The current faculty, staff and administration build on that legacy by continuing a proud tradition of academic excellence, athletic prowess, and religious steadfastness.
The school's teams are the Fighting '59ers. This name comes from the address of the school, 5959 Broadway, and the year of its founding- 1959. The 1969 '59ers football team was the school's first undefeated varsity football squad. The 2004 '59ers football team won the Indiana high school class 3A football championship defeating the Heritage Hills Patriots 21–14 in Indianapolis to cap off a 13–2 season. The 2013 '59ers football team won the Indiana High School class 3A State Championship, defeating Indianapolis Brebeuf Preparatory 35 to 27, to top off an undefeated season (15-0). From 1980–2008 the men's baseball team has 3 state titles; in 2005, 2009, and 2010. The Andrean softball team won three state titles in 1998, 2007, and 2012.
- Dan Dakich, college basketball player for Indiana University and longtime head coach at Bowling Green.
- Luke Harangody, former college basketball player for Notre Dame and current professional basketball player for the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- Sean Manaea, baseball player
- Pete Visclosky, member of Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Indiana's 1st district (northwest Indiana)
- McCollum, Carmen. "Gary Diocese appoints Harry Vande Velde Andrean president". www.nwi.com. The Times.
- Phil, Wieland. "Potts named Andrean's new principal". www.nwi.com. The Times.
- IHSAA Boys Football State Champions
- IHSAA Baseball Team State Champions
- IHSAA Girls Softball Team State Champions
- Sean Manaea mania is on the rise