Andrean High School
|Andrean High School|
Magister Meus Christus
Christ is Our Teacher
Merrillville, Indiana 46410
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Authority||Diocese of Gary|
|Teaching staff||41.6 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.1|
|Campus size||47 acres (19 ha)|
|Color(s)||Red and Old Gold|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Crossroads Conference|
|Nickname||The Fighting 59ers|
The school was founded in 1959, and named after the first bishop of the diocese of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Gary, Andrew Grutka. Since its founding, Andrean has been staffed in part by members of the Basilian Fathers and the Sisters of Saints Cyril and Methodius. The school colors are red and gold in honor of the martyrdom and subsequent glory of St. Andrew. The school motto is "Magister Meus Christus," or "Christ is My Teacher."
|This section does not cite any sources. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Andrean High School first opened its doors to 337 students on September 14, 1959, creating a centrally-located Catholic High School between Bishop Noll Institute in Hammond, IN and Marquette Catholic High School in Michigan City, IN. Bishop Leo Aloysius Pursley from the Diocese of Fort Wayne and Bishop Andrew Gregory Grutka from the newly formed Diocese of Gary were instrumental in its creation.
The racial breakdown of the 588 students enrolled for the 2013-2014 school year was:
- Asian - 3.6%
- Black - 21.3%
- Hispanic - 10.7%
- White - 57.7%
- Multiracial - 6.7%
The school's teams are the Fighting '59ers. This name comes from the address of the school, 5959 Broadway, and the year of its founding- 1959. Andrean competes in the Northwest Crossroads Conference. The following IHSAA sanctioned sports are offered:
- Baseball (boys)
- State champions - 2005, 2009, 2010, 2014, 2015
- Basketball (girls & boys)
- Cross country (girls & boys)
- Football (boys)
- State champions - 2004, 2013
- Golf (girls & boys)
- Soccer (girls & boys)
- Softball (girls)
- State champions - 1998, 2007, 2012
- Tennis (girls & boys)
- Track (girls & boys)
- Volleyball (girls)
- Wrestling (boys)
- Dan Dakich - former Bowling Green Falcons men's basketball head coach (1997-2007)
- Luke Harangody - professional basketball player
- Sean Manaea - baseball player for the Oakland Athletics 
- Pete Visclosky - member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Indiana's 1st congressional district (northwest Indiana)
- "Office of Catholic Schools". Diocese of Gary. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- "Andrean High School website". Andrean High School. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- "Search for Private Schools - School Detail for Andrean High School". ed.gov. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- "IHSAA 2014-2015 School directory" (pdf). ihsaa.org. IHSAA. p. 27. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "IHSAA State Championships by School". ihsaa.org. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "The Dan Dakich Show". WFNI. Archived from the original on December 26, 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- "Sean Manaea mania is on the rise". nwitimes.com. Retrieved 14 August 2015.