This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Andreas Öberg in June 2009 in Samois-sur-Seine, north-central France
|Born||6 August 1978|
|Genres||Pop, jazz, soul|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, record producer|
Andreas Öberg (born 6 August 1978) is a Swedish guitarist, songwriter, and music producer.
Öberg was born in Stockholm on 6 August 1978. When he was seven, he took classical guitar lessons at school. He played electric guitar when he was twelve years old under the influence of a teacher who played blues and jazz fusion. He studied at the Royal College of Music in Stockholm.
He began his professional career at eighteen when he worked with Viktoria Tolstoy and Svante Thuresson. In 2006, he signed with Resonance Records. He described his music at this time as a combination of jazz, funk, soul, Latin, and Brazilian music. He recorded with the Resonance Big Band on an album that received a Grammy Award nomination for Best Instrumental Arrangement. In 2009 he started a web site, Andreas' Guitar Universe, where he teaches online classes. He was worked with Barbara Hendricks, Hank Jones, Les Paul, Eros Ramazzotti, and Toots Thielemans.
Oberg was hired to write a song for a commercial that appeared on Swedish television. Since then he has composed for Universal Music. He wrote a song with Andreas Carlsson, who encouraged him to write lyrics in addition to music. As a songwriter Oberg has collaborated with Melanie Fontana and Ludwig Goransson. He has written and produced pop music for the Swedish, American, and Japanese markets. Andreas currently teaches the Jazz and More Guitar Lessons with ArtistWorks.
Notable releases with songs by Öberg are Girls' Generation's RIAJ platinum-certified album Girls & Peace and their gold album Love & Peace (with the four co-written songs "Motorcycle", "Gossip Girls", "Do the Catwalk" and "Lingua Franca") and TVXQ's RIAJ platinum Tree and With.
In May 2016, Namie Amuro released her single "Mint" where both the A- and B-sides ("Mint" and "Chit Chat") were co-written and co-produced by Oberg. The song sold more the 100,000 digital copies in Japan and was certified Gold. In June 2016, EXO released their album EX'ACT, which included "Stronger", cowritten by Oberg. The album was the most sold in the world according to Global Album chart and has sold more than one million physical copies.
Öberg won the Hagström Guitar Award and the Gevalia Music Prize in 2004 and the International Guitar Competition Prize in Montreux in 2006. He taught classes at the Musicians Institute in Hollywood.
- Andreas Invites Yorgui & Ritary (Hot Club, 2004)
- Young Jazz Guitarist (Hot Club, 2005)
- Solo (Hot Club, 2006)
- Live in Concert (2006) (DVD)
- My Favorite Guitars (Resonance, 2008)
- Six String Evolution (Resonance, 2010)
- Live (Hot Club, 2013)
- "Andreas Öberg Interview". Soundgraphics (in Japanese). September 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- Jeff Benjamin (2015-05-28). "SHINee Earn Second No. 1 on World Albums With 'Odd'". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "global album chart". allkpop.com. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "million seller". soompi.com. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "Gevalias musikpris till jazzgitarristen Andreas Öberg - Kraft Foods". News.cision.com (in Swedish). 2004-11-19. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "What's Hot With Jazz Guitar: Andreas Oberg". Guitar Site. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- "Andreas Oberg Harnesses the Hypnotic Harmonies of the Whole-Tone Scale". Connection.ebscohost.com. Retrieved 2016-05-05.